Senior Data Scientist - Risk Analytics
Palo Alto, CA
Research + Data Science
As a Senior Data Scientist in Wealthfront’s Data Science organization, you’ll be responsible for improving the quality of our decisions using data and the scientific method. Your work will generate tools and insights that inform product and business decisions throughout the company and across the product lifecycle, from ideation and research to launch and iteration. You will mentor and collaborate with your data science colleagues with a focus on technical skills and career development. We are fortunate to work with experienced product managers and engineers that have worked on products at companies like Facebook, Google, Twitter and Apple. This is an opportunity to learn from some of the most experienced operators in the startup world and to further an important and meaningful mission. Our Data Science team focuses on product analytics (for the product areas of Financial Planning, Financial Services including Investments & Cash accounts, and customer experience), A/B Testing, growth/marketing analytics, and risk analytics. This position will focus on risk analytics.
What you'll do
- Work closely with a cross-functional team of product managers, brokerage/banking operations, finance, and engineers to conduct analysis and build models to reduce risk (fraud, anti-money laundering, and credit) while maintaining a great customer experience and reducing our operational cost.
- Formally mentor junior colleagues and provide technical guidance to the team
- Continuously look for, and execute upon, opportunities to improve the quality of our data, infrastructure and products
- Understand and communicate a data-driven picture of our clients, product and business (and their interaction) to the company
- Promote the automation of repetitive tasks and the creation of tools over ad hoc analyses, making your insights available to anyone that can benefit from them
What we're looking for
- You subscribe to Wealthfront’s values and mission and can articulate the reasons why, and have an understanding of our product, business model and key metrics
- 6+ years of experience operating successfully within a world-class data science team or academic program
- 2+ years of experience with fraud and risk modeling
- Ability to access, transform, visualize, and model datasets with minimal engineering support, and communicate your results clearly, both verbally and in writing
- A firm foundation of the basic tool-box of regression and classification models with experience in how they are tailored to the fraud and risk setting
- A solid understanding of basic statistics and probability
- Programming competency in a scripting language like Python or R
- Basic SQL skills
- BS, MS, or PhD in computer science, statistics, mathematics, applied mathematics, physics, economics or related field
Everyone across the financial spectrum deserves to live secure and rewarding lives. In order to successfully serve clients across the United States, the Wealthfront team is focused on hiring team members with a diverse range of backgrounds, experiences and perspectives. We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Wealthfront is a nextgen banking service. We help you manage your money for both your short-term and long-term goals by providing a cash account with a top-of-market APY, best-in-class automated investment management, and free financial advice, anytime you want it. We entered into the banking space in a big way this past year with the launch of our cash account that offers an interest rate 18x greater than the national average. We’ve been overwhelmed by the response and grew over 100% last year to manage over $23 billion in total client assets.
Our ultimate vision is to optimize and automate all of our clients’ finances and build what we call Self-Driving Money™️. We want clients to be able to automatically deposit their paycheck into their Wealthfront account, and let us take care of the rest — paying their bills, topping off their emergency fund or 401(k), and investing the rest based on their specific goals and lifestyle. To get there, we’ll be focusing the bulk of our 2019 efforts on creating a better alternative to what the banking industry provides. Join us so you can help us turn this industry on its head and build a service that our clients don't just like, they love.