Senior Backend Engineer
Palo Alto, CA (Open to US-based Remote) /
We are looking for senior backend engineers to join our teams:
Investment (Platform) – In this role, you will build the backend systems that our clients trust to automatically manage and trade more than $25B in assets using advanced tax-optimized investing strategies. Projects range from scaling and optimizing the performance of our current investing, trading, and brokerage systems to building new systems to facilitate new investment products and strategies.
Investment (Client-facing) – In this role, you’ll work closely with your iOS, Android, and Web counterparts to make investing delightfully easy and understandable for our clients and prospective clients. You will design and build API endpoints and systems that enable front-end applications to interact with our backend investment services. Client-facing teams work on all aspects of our Investment products including enhancements to existing features and developing new product initiatives.
Fraud & Risk – In the world of financial crime, there are two important groups. The people who seek to defraud Wealthfront and its clients, and us, the engineers who build systems to find and discourage the bad actors. We're looking for individuals with data-centric curiosity, who can adapt complex systems to automate identification of threats and minimize their effectiveness while delivering a great experience for our clients.
* Note: This role has the option to be based in Palo Alto CA, Boston MA, or remote (U.S).
- Work with a team of engineers to design and build new features or enhancements to existing features. This work will add capabilities to the various backend systems and services that support Wealthfront’s products, and will be done with automated instrumentation and monitoring to require minimal operational maintenance.
- Help improve the maintainability and stability of our codebase by working on fixing issues and adding necessary enhancements to our existing backend systems.
- Ensure that mission critical backend systems and services operate smoothly in production by triaging and resolving operational issues as part of a team of on-call engineers.
- Proactively identify opportunities for improving the reliability and scalability of our systems.
- Participate in recruiting activities such as interviewing and attending career fairs.
- Provide mentorship to other engineers on the team
- 4+ years of experience in developing backend components, services or APIs in Java or a similar language.
- Demonstrated knowledge and understanding of distributed systems and functional programming paradigms.
- Knowledge of SQL and experience working with online data stores (one of MySQL, MariaDB, PostgreSQL, Oracle, MS SQL Server).
- Real passion for agile, test-driven development, continuous integration and automated testing.
- Real passion for working on platforms and backend systems that have measurable business impact and like working in a fast paced cross functional environment.
- Experience working with Spark pipelines is a plus.
- Knowledge of an ORM technology such as Hibernate is a plus.
- Knowledge and experience of working with a dependency injection framework (one of Guice, Spring, Pico, Dagger) is a plus.
- BS, MS or PhD in computer science or related field
Once you join, Wealthfront will:
- Pair you with a 1:1 mentor to guide you through our structured onboarding program
- Encourage you to lead projects which match your professional goals
- Support your professional development by providing feedback during weekly 1:1s and during our bi-annual reviews
- Give you autonomy so you can be a happy and successful member of our team
Everyone across the financial spectrum deserves to live secure and rewarding lives. In order to successfully serve clients across the United States, the Wealthfront team is focused on hiring team members with a diverse range of backgrounds, experiences and perspectives. We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Wealthfront started with the ambition to transform the investment advisory business, with the goal to unlock access to high quality investment advice for millions who were underserved by the traditional institutions. We built the first automated investment product that allows you to invest in a personalized portfolio of thousands of companies in seconds for a remarkably low fee; we then expanded into banking which made it remarkably easy for people to automate their finances end-to-end and eliminated the hassle of money management, all of which resulted in attracting more than $27 billion of our client’s hard earned savings, created the robo-advisor category and transformed the broader industry. And yet, we have a long way to go to achieve our mission to build a financial system that favors people, not institutions.
Wealthfront’s vision is to make it delightfully easy to build long-term wealth on your own terms. This vision is more relevant than ever because millions more people are getting into the market early and investing their hard earned savings in a handful of stocks. While this is a great way to start, it is inconsistent with building long-term wealth. We want to empower young investors to expand their horizon, and easily explore and execute on a wider range of investing strategies, make informed investment decisions that are consistent with their values and beliefs while also making it effortless to grow and compound their savings exponentially, that’s transformational to their lives and their long-term future.