User Research Intern
Palo Alto, CA (Open to US-based Remote) /
Why we’re searching for an intern.
At Wealthfront, we’re on a mission to build a financial system that favors people, not institutions. Achieving this monumental mission requires us to deeply understand our current and future clients, as they bank, save, and invest with us. Financial technology involves some of the most complex research questions in our field, pertaining to areas like trust, motivation, and elaborate decision-making processes. This is why we’re looking for an incredible intern!
What do we offer you?
As an intern at Wealthfront, you’ll be joining our Design team full time for 12-13 weeks (FYI we’re remote-friendly and flexible on internship length!). You’ll be working and learning right alongside us, and reporting to our Director of User Research. You’ll get to choose your area of focus and take on meaningful, strategic research projects that could have a lasting impact on our business and our users’ experience. You’ll collaborate cross-functionally with best-in-class product managers, designers, content strategists, and more, owning the entire research process from ideation to the delivery of insights to the team and our executives.
If you join us, you will:
- Lead impactful, meaningful end-to-end research projects, across Wealthfront’s products, and the entire client journey.
- Collaborate with cross-functional teammates from design, product, and engineering on foundational and strategy-guiding insights all the way to tactical usability research
- Represent our current and potential clients’ experiences by conveying insights in crisp, clear, and actionable ways.
- Help our team continuously learn about current and potential opportunities to better serve our users, inspire product strategy, and encourage design iteration.
- Participate in all design team activities, including workshops and critiques.
- Learn about financial technology, investing, research and design principles and so much more!
- Importantly, we value mentorship and feedback. We’re offering an opportunity to develop skills and expertise in user experience research and provide you with one-on-one mentorship and helpful feedback throughout your internship. We’ll also consider the intern for a full-time offer upon graduation pending business need and performance.
Relevant experience and mindset we'd like to see:
- You’re currently pursuing a graduate degree (preferably graduating Dec 2021 / Spring 2022) in Anthropology, Behavioral Economics, Design, Human-Computer Interaction, Information Science, Psychology, Sociology, (or similar).
- You’re able to work for 12-13 consecutive weeks during the Summer of 2021 (flexible).
- You have a strong desire to learn new things.
- You’re driven by helping to build user-focused products that solve critical problems.
- You’re familiar with several qualitative and quantitative user research methods and have some basic knowledge of when to apply the appropriate methods.
- Experience conducting independent research (qualitative or quantitative).
- You’re able to communicate effectively and in a compelling way.
- You’re able to quickly tailor and design effective, appropriate research approaches within constraints.
- You have a collaborative mindset, with experience working across disciplines and with multiple stakeholders.
- Relevant internship work, work experience, or project experience in an applied research setting including, but not limited to, integrating user research into product designs and design practices.
- Track record of demonstrating excellent command of research methods that impact organizational or product decisions.
- Self-directed towards excellent outcomes.
- A passion for financial technology, financial planning, and investing.
Application requirements and instructions:
- To apply, please submit your resume, along with an answer to our question. Nothing else is necessary (such as a cover letter, or portfolio). Again, please note that we are only considering students who are pursuing a Master’s Degree or Ph.D., and who are currently pursuing a graduate-level program, graduating in/after December 2021. This internship will take place in the summer, dates are flexible! The deadline for submission is Sunday, 31st of January 2021.
Wealthfront is a nextgen banking and investing service. We offer high-interest checking with our Cash Account, help you build your net worth with automated investing, automate your savings strategy with our service Autopilot, and give you a single view of your finances with our intuitive mobile app.
Our ultimate vision is to optimize and automate all of our clients’ finances and build what we call Self-Driving Money™️. We want clients to be able to automatically deposit their paycheck into their Wealthfront account, and let us take care of the rest — paying their bills, topping off their emergency fund or 401(k), and investing the rest based on their specific goals and lifestyle. To get there, we’ll be focusing the bulk of our efforts on creating a better alternative to what the banking industry provides. Join us so you can help us turn this industry on its head and build a service that our clients don't just like, they love.