Senior Staff Accountant
Redwood City, CA
Wealthfront is seeking a Senior Staff Accountant to join the finance and accounting team in building scalable infrastructure to support a dynamic and high-growth business. The individual will perform a critical role interacting with senior executives as well as external third parties including partners, auditors, and regulators. The Senior Staff Accountant will be responsible for managing the monthly close, monitoring general accounting practices, developing accounting controls, and creating a scalable function. You will report to the Controller, working closely as a partner to the Senior Director of Finance, Chief Operations Officer of Wealthfront Brokerage LLC and the Chief Financial Officer of Wealthfront Corporation and will be charged with identifying and executing opportunities to drive scale in the financial operations. You will combine a commitment to the company mission with a passion to lead a solutions-oriented team that partners on critical operating decisions throughout the organization.
- Work with accounting staff to facilitate end-to-end, timely and accurate financial reporting process.
- Help with the month, quarter and year-end close activities at each subsidiary and on a consolidated basis.
- Prepare and review journal entries, account reconciliations, P&L and balance sheet flux and variance analysis.
- Improve processes to drive efficiency and effectiveness over corporate accounting and GL activities.
- Develop and document internal controls, policies, and procedures; ensure proper documentation and record-keeping compliance.
- Lead continuous process improvement projects, provide meaningful proposals and drive implementation.
- Lead the annual financial audit including organizing responses to PBCs, writing footnotes to financial documents, and driving a well-organized process to ensure accurate and timely filings. Key interface to external audits.
- Preparation or review of US GAAP disclosure checklists to ensure compliance of external financial statements and disclosures.
- Prevent inaccuracies in and maintain reliability of financial documents by setting up internal control systems and embracing proper policies for financial reporting.
- Assist both the CFO and the Senior Director of Finance in the establishment of a scalable firm-wide accounting function.
- Maintain positive relationships with regulators (including FINRA, SEC) and auditors (E&Y) by analyzing, researching and responding to inquiries in a timely and accurate manner.
- Liaison with accounting software, system vendors, and consultants as required and make recommendations as to ways we can automate and enhance our accounting operations through the implementation of new systems.
- Customer-centric business philosophy and team-oriented mindset.
- Unquestionable ethics.
- Shown ability to communicate effectively at all levels of an organization.
- Uncompromising attention to detail with the ability to communicate to the level of detail appropriate to the situation and audience.
- Ability to problem solve and actively address issues in a professional and effective manner.
- Enthusiasm to apply technology to business processes.
- Strong organizational skills and ability to set and meet deadlines in a high paced environment.
- Self-starter who regularly takes initiative and can juggle multiple projects while simultaneously demonstrating creativity and judgment.
- Takes pride in meeting deadlines and exceeding expectations on quality of output.
- Proficiency in MS Excel and accounting packages, specifically experience in NetSuite.
- In-depth knowledge of GAAP, including preparation of audited GAAP financial statements
- Experience implementing ASC 606 Revenue Recognition
- Knowledge of ASC 842 accounting for leases
- BA/BS required; CPA strongly preferred.
Everyone across the financial spectrum deserves to live secure and rewarding lives. In order to successfully serve clients across the United States, the Wealthfront team is focused on hiring team members with a diverse range of backgrounds, experiences and perspectives. We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Wealthfront pioneered the category today known as “robo-advisors” when the company launched its automated investment service in 2011. Today, we manage over $12 billion for our clients and have expanded our service to offer free financial planning to anyone as well as cash management solutions with our recently launched FDIC insured Cash Account.
But we’re not done there. Our vision is to optimize and automate all of our clients’ finances, and build Self-Driving Money™️. We want clients to be able to automatically deposit their paycheck into their Wealthfront account and take care of the rest -- paying their bills, topping off their emergency fund or 401(k) and investing the rest based on their specific goals and lifestyle. To get there, we’ll be focusing the bulk of our efforts on reinventing the way we currently bank in the U.S. in 2019. The banking industry is one of the most non-client centric industries in existence and we hope you join us to flip the script and rebuild it from the ground up.