Quantitative Research, Intern
Redwood City, CA
Research + Data Science
At Wealthfront, we have an ambitious vision to optimize and automate all your personal finances. By delivering our service exclusively through software, we can also offer very low fees and account minimums. Over the past six years, our clients have rewarded us with $13 billion to manage and we have attracted some of the best venture capital firms in the business including Benchmark Capital, Greylock, Index Ventures and Social Capital. We recently closed a $75 million round of funding from Tiger Global and are rapidly growing our team. So if you're passionate about helping people secure their ambitions while helping to transform an industry, keep reading.
We are looking for talented summer interns passionate about conceptualizing, prototyping, and delivering the next generation of financial services to join the Research group at Wealthfront as Quantitative Researchers. Successful candidates will combine a passion for rigorous analysis, the pragmatism necessary to bring models to data, and a strong desire to work with a unique set of financial and client data. Quantitative Researchers investigate problems spanning portfolio construction (taxable and non-taxable), asset allocation, financial planning, as well as, trade execution and risk modelling. Code and models are the way we express insights and analysis, thus you need to be comfortable working with math, large datasets, and writing significant amounts of code.
- Develop models and algorithms underlying our financial planning and investment products
- Develop actionable insights based on empirical analyses / modeling of relevant data
- Contribute to the development of research infrastructure for modelling, optimization, backtesting, analytics, and data management, to ensure an efficient and robust research process
- Investigate, identify, and acquire internal / external datasets
- Collaborate with other teams (engineering, product, design, marketing, and compliance) to commercialize new products and ongoing enhancements to existing products
- Within a year or so of obtaining a PhD degree in economics / finance / operations research / statistics / computer science (or a related discipline with a strong focus on quantitative analysis)
- Experience analyzing complex data and building statistical models
- Strong background in econometrics / statistics / optimization / machine learning
- Programming competency in R and / or Matlab and / or Python
- Programming competency in SQL preferred
- Strong presentation skills and ability to communicate technical content to an audience with varied backgrounds
Wealthfront pioneered the category today known as “robo-advisors” when the company launched its automated investment service in 2011. Today, we manage over $12 billion for our clients and have expanded our service to offer free financial planning to anyone as well as cash management solutions with our recently launched FDIC insured Cash Account.
But we’re not done there. Our vision is to optimize and automate all of their clients’ finances, and build Self-Driving Money™️. We want clients to be able to automatically deposit their paycheck into their Wealthfront account and take care of the rest -- paying their bills, topping off their emergency fund or 401(k) and investing the rest based on their specific goals and lifestyle. To get there, we’ll be focusing the bulk of our efforts on reinventing the way we currently bank in the U.S. in 2019. The banking industry is one of the most non-client centric industries in existence and we hope you join us to flip the script and rebuild it from the ground up.