Redwood City, CA
Our mission at Wealthfront is pretty simple: we believe that everyone deserves access to sophisticated financial advice. Over the past five years, Wealthfront has built a technology company focused on re-architecting the finance industry, and along the way we’ve created a new category known as automated investment services (aka ‘robo-advisors’, but FYI we’re fairly light on robots). What that actually means is we build software that enables us to democratize access to services typically reserved for the ultra-wealthy, and through automation we can deliver those services to investors at an incredibly low cost. And it’s working; we have loyal clients who trust us with over $7 billion in assets -- and we’re just getting started!
As a data scientist in Wealthfront’s product organization, you’ll be responsible for improving the quality of our decisions using the vast amounts of data Wealthfront has and the scientific method. Your work generates tools and insights that inform product and business decisions across the company (teams, senior management and clients) and across the idea lifecycle, from ideation and estimation to launch and iteration.
You’ll be joining a team of highly experienced product managers and engineers that have worked on products at LinkedIn, Facebook, Google, Twitter, eBay, Etsy and Apple. This is an opportunity to learn from some of the most experienced operators in the startup world and to further an important and meaningful mission.
- Work closely with cross-functional teams of product managers and engineers, translating open-ended business issues into data questions, identifying practical approaches to answer them, and carrying out timely and well-documented analyses that influence our product and company strategy.
- Continuously look for, and execute upon, opportunities to improve the quality of our data, our infrastructure and our products.
- Understand and communicate a holistic picture of the business to the company.
- Promote the automation of repetitive tasks and the creation of tools over one-off analyses, making your insights available to anyone that can benefit from them.
- You subscribe to Wealthfront’s values and mission and can articulate the reasons why. You have read extensively about Wealthfront and have an understanding of our product, business model and key metrics.
- You are able to access, munge, visualize, and model datasets with minimal engineering support, and communicate your results verbally and in writing.
- You can aggressively prioritize and mercilessly edit your own work.
- You care about producing reproducible work and have picked up tools to this end.
- You have strong opinions, weakly held, on subjects such as experimental design, data visualization and behavioral economics.
- You have an understanding of, and experience dealing with, the tradeoff between technical complexity and the incremental impact over parsimonious approaches.
- You have built something first hand that you’re proud of.
- You are currently learning something outside of your immediate line of work.
- Programming competency in SQL and R is a plus.
- 2+ years experience, a plus
Wealthfront is the only robo-advisor to offer both investment management and financial planning exclusively through software. Because of this approach, we've quickly become the automated advisor of choice among young people. Anyone can open a Wealthfront investment account with $500 to access a unique investment strategy that includes a combination of a diversified portfolio of ETFs and tax minimization strategies. All clients receive financial planning through the service, Path, at no additional cost. Wealthfront does not charge management fees on the first $10,000 and for amounts above that the annual management fee is 0.25% - a fraction of what financial advisors charge. Wealthfront's strategy is to take high end financial services that are reserved for those who have millions of dollars and deliver them to young consumers through software. The majority of Wealthfront clients are in their 30s and 40s and have less than $1 million to invest. Wealthfront was founded by Andy Rachleff and Dan Carroll, who launched the service in December 2011. Wealthfront has raised over $129 million in funding from Benchmark Capital, DAG Ventures, Dragoneer Investment Group, Greylock Partners, Index Ventures, Ribbit Capital, Social + Capital and Spark Capital, and is based in Redwood City, CA. For more information please visit www.wealthfront.com.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.