Palo Alto, CA
Legal and Compliance
Wealthfront is seeking a talented, passionate, and experienced attorney to handle a wide variety of broker-dealer legal and regulatory matters. As a member of our legal team you will work closely with and report to our Deputy General Counsel. Just as importantly, you will collaborate with all other departments including the product, design, engineering, marketing, and compliance teams to provide the best client experience possible.
- Creatively configure compliant solutions and provide advice for sound business decisions in view of relevant legal and compliance requirements and risks
- Analyze and provide guidance on evolving laws, rules, regulations, and trends impacting broker-dealers, including: Securities Act of 1933, Securities Exchange Act of 1934, Gramm-Leach-Bliley and related broker-dealer statutes and regulations; FINRA and MSRB rules and regulations; and other federal and state financial services-related laws, rules and regulations applicable to broker-dealers as well as broker-dealer partnerships including, Glass-Steagall
- Advise with respect to legal and regulatory aspects of compliance matters for the broker-dealer
- Assist with the development of new lines of business and financial advisory products by: Embedding yourself in the project development team upon project launch; working closely and proactively with other project team members to identify potential legal and regulatory issues; crafting compliant solutions that avoid or minimize inefficient use of product and design and engineering resources and speed product launches; and drafting related agreements, policies, procedures and disclosures
- Manage interactions with the SEC, FINRA and other regulatory authorities
- Interface with and manage outside counsel
- J.D. degree and licensed to practice in California, or the ability to apply for California's in-house counsel exemption
- Between 7 to 10 years of relevant legal experience at a national or international law firm; in-house or start-up experience preferred
- Familiarity and experience with FINRA and MSRB rules required
- Experience working with investment advisers
- Ability to design creatively compliant solutions
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment with strong collaborative skills
- Ability to participate in developing company strategic and operational goals, and work closely with business units in their operational execution
- Ability to provide hands-on counsel to all levels of executive and non-executive associates
- Ability to identify and analyze legal issues, draft key documents, present clear recommendations, and assure legal compliance
- Strong project management skills
- Self-motivated and efficient, with good business judgment and “take ownership” outlook
- Creative, with the confidence to present and advocate for the implementation of ideas
Everyone across the financial spectrum deserves to live secure and rewarding lives. In order to successfully serve clients across the United States, the Wealthfront team is focused on hiring team members with a diverse range of backgrounds, experiences and perspectives. We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Wealthfront is a NextGen Banking Service. We help you manage your money for both your short-term and long-term goals by providing a cash account with a top-of-market APY, best-in-class automated investment management, and free financial advice, anytime you want it. We entered into the space in a big way this year with the launch of our cash account that offers an interest rate more than 20x greater than the national average.
Our ultimate vision is to optimize and automate all of our clients’ finances and build what we call Self-Driving Money™️. We want clients to be able to automatically deposit their paycheck into their Wealthfront account, and let us take care of the rest — paying their bills, topping off their emergency fund or 401(k), and investing the rest based on their specific goals and lifestyle. To get there, we’ll be focusing the bulk of our 2019 efforts on creating a better alternative to what the banking industry provides. Join us so you can help us turn this industry on its head and build a service that our clients don't just like, they love.