Principal Data Scientist - Marketing
Palo Alto, CA (Open to US-based Remote) /
Data Science and Research /
Wealthfront is the leader in the vision to deliver financial optimization and automation to everyone. Data and its proper use is crucial to that vision and the data science team plays a fundamental role in understanding and interpreting those data sources.
The data science team analyzes our rich financial and behavioral data to make key business decisions, creates data products to deliver personalized product experiences, and develops best in class investment algorithms. The team draws from a variety of backgrounds in Computer Science & Engineering, Statistics, Economics, Math, Operations Research, and Financial Engineering. We derive strength from this diversity and are constantly learning and teaching each other in a down-to-earth, fun-loving environment. We are neither too big where you would be just another cog in the system, nor are we too small that none of our efforts can be realized. You will be challenged with meaningful and substantial technical problems which will help you learn and grow. Wealthfront is the leader in the vision to deliver financial optimization and automation to everyone. Join our passionate and innovative team with your fresh ideas and initiative to deliver on this great vision.
We are seeking an experienced data scientist with a solid foundation in statistics and machine learning to join Wealthfront. The primary responsibility of this role is to provide sustainable, long-term data science tools and solutions to quantify and address complex problems for marketing and growth functions. Such solutions must balance the pragmatic needs of the business and the demands of a rigorous analysis; part of this balance involves using the simplest tools and models to get the job done, and when using more involved methods, fully accepting the tradeoffs between complexity and performance. Secondary responsibilities of the role involve supporting more ad hoc, short-term data science related needs of the organization.
- Understand marketing and growth problems, frame them in statistical/mathematical/data science terms, and propose solutions that balance pragmatism and rigor
- Build statistical and machine learning models for both statistical inference and prediction
- Collaborate with data engineering and engineering to define a measurement framework enabled by internal tracking and third-party tools
- Define a learning roadmap with data exploration, third party data sets, and experimentation
- Optimize marketing decisions to maximize client acquisition and net deposits
- Proactively and independently come up with new projects based on the needs of the stakeholder groups
- Technically mentor and guide junior members
- Present technical results to a broad audience including senior executives
- PhD or Master’s in statistics, applied math, computer science or related area
- 8+ years of experience (including relevant industry and post-undergraduate degree programs) with data mining, statistical analyses, and model building/machine learning applications; experience includes at least 3 years of relevant consumer internet industry experience
- Demonstrated track record of driving significant business impact in marketing and growth at other consumer internet companies
- Breadth of experience across marketing and growth problems
- Expertise in industry standard approaches to Incrementality Testing, Multi-Touch Attribution, and Marketing Mix Modeling
- Excellent foundation in statistics, probability/mathematics
- Strong understanding of both classical statistical methods (e.g., linear regression, GLM, survival models) as well as Machine Learning methods (e.g., gradient boosted machines, deep learning) and their respective tradeoffs.
- Programming fluency in Python, R or similar scripting language
- Strong presentation skills and ability to communicate technical content to an audience with various backgrounds
Everyone across the financial spectrum deserves to live secure and rewarding lives. In order to successfully serve clients across the United States, the Wealthfront team is focused on hiring team members with a diverse range of backgrounds, experiences and perspectives. We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Wealthfront is a nextgen banking and investing service on a mission to build a financial system that favors people, not institutions. We help you grow your wealth through automated investing and savings tools and give you a complete picture of your financial life with an intuitive mobile app.
Our ultimate vision is to optimize and automate all of our clients’ finances and build what we call Self-Driving Money™️. We want clients to be able to automatically deposit their paycheck into their Wealthfront Cash Account, and let us take care of the rest — pay their bills, top off their emergency fund or 401(k), and invest the rest in their Wealthfront Investing accounts based on their goals. Join us and help turn this industry on its head and build a service that our clients don't just like, they love.