Senior Data Scientist
Redwood City, CA
At Wealthfront we believe everyone's personal finances can be optimized and automated for a very low fee using high-end technology. To achieve that, we built a software-only approach, which also helped create a new category: robo-advisors. Over the past six years we've paired the the expertise of our PhD-clad research team with the exceptional talents of our engineering, product and design teams to deliver sophisticated products and services to our clients that are easy and fun to use. And that plan has worked! We have loyal clients from every state who trust us with almost $9 billion in assets... and we're just getting started. So if you're passionate about helping people secure their ambitions while helping to change an industry, keep reading.
As a Senior Data Scientist in Wealthfront’s Research organization, you’ll be responsible for improving the quality of our decisions using data and the scientific method. Your work will generate tools and insights that inform product and business decisions across the company (teams, senior management and clients) and across the idea lifecycle, from ideation and estimation to launch and iteration.
You'll be joining a team of highly experienced product managers and engineers that have worked on products at LinkedIn, Facebook, Google, Twitter, eBay and Apple. This is an opportunity to learn from some of the most experienced operators in the startup world and to further an important and meaningful mission.
- Work closely with multiple cross-functional teams of product managers and engineers, translating open-ended business issues into data questions, identifying practical approaches to answer them, and carrying out timely and well-documented analyses that influence our product and company strategy
- Formal mentorship of junior colleagues
- Continuously look for, and execute upon, opportunities to improve the quality of our data, our infrastructure and our products
- Understand and communicate a data-driven picture of the business to the company
- Promote the automation of repetitive tasks and the creation of tools over ad hoc analyses, making your insights available to anyone that can benefit from them
- You subscribe to Wealthfront’s values and mission and can articulate the reasons why, and have read extensively about Wealthfront and have an understanding of our product, business model and key metrics
- 6+ years of experience operating successfully within a world-class data science team or academic program
- Ability to access, munge, visualize, and model datasets with minimal engineering support, and communicate your results verbally and in writing
- A firm foundation, rooted in experience, of basic tool-box of regression and classification models, as well as experimental design, time series modeling and causal inference
- You can aggressively prioritize and mercilessly edit your own work
- You care about producing reproducible work and have picked up tools to this end
- Strong opinions, weakly held, on subjects such as experimental design, data visualization and behavioral economics
- You have built something first hand that you’re proud of
- You are currently learning something outside of your immediate line of work
- Programming competency in R, SQL and Scala is a plus
For more information please visit www.wealthfront.com.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.