Backend Engineer, Banking
Palo Alto, CA /
We’re looking for a Backend Engineer to join our Banking team. In this role, you will work on making our Banking products the best in the industry. The team is a cross-functional client-facing team that builds the entire user experience around our cash account from onboarding and merchandising to managing every aspect of your account. We balance new multi-month feature development with ongoing improvements to existing features. Code gets deployed daily and usually makes up several major projects a year. For example, in 2020 we built and released: checking features, debit cards, pay by check and mobile check deposit.
* Note: This role has the option to be U.S.-based remote or based in Palo Alto, CA.
As a core member of the Banking team, you will :
- Collaborate with a team of backend, web and mobile engineers to build features and enhance existing features
- Collaborate with our design team to create the best user experience for Wealthfront clients
- Work with product and data scientists to create and test A/B experiments that drive measurable growth to Wealthfront business metrics
- Join other backend engineers to triage and resolve operational issues, ensuring that mission critical systems and services operate smoothly across the Wealthfront platform
- Get an opportunity to work with the leadership team to define Wealthfront’s banking strategy and impact our clients long term
This role could be a fit if you have:
- 3+ years of experience in developing backend components, services or APIs in Java
- Demonstrated knowledge and understanding of distributed systems and functional programming paradigms.
- Knowledge of SQL and experience working with online data stores
- Experience working with frontend teams to build client facing features.
- Experience working with Spark pipelines is a plus
- Knowledge of an ORM technology such as Hibernate is a plus
- Knowledge of and experience working with a dependency injection framework (one of Guice, Spring, Pico, Dagger) is a plus
- Real passion for working on projects that have measurable business impact and like working in a fast paced cross functional environment
- Experience with test-driven development, continuous integration, and automated testing
- BS, MS, or PhD in computer science, math, physics, or related field
Once you join, Wealthfront will:
- Pair you with a mentor who will guide you through our structured onboarding program
- Encourage you to work on projects that match your professional goals
- Support your professional development by providing feedback during weekly 1:1s and during our bi-annual reviews
- Provide autonomy so you can be a happy and successful member of our team
Everyone across the financial spectrum deserves to live secure and rewarding lives. In order to successfully serve clients across the United States, the Wealthfront team is focused on hiring team members with a diverse range of backgrounds, experiences and perspectives. We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Wealthfront is a nextgen banking and investing service. We offer high-interest checking with our Cash Account, help you build your net worth with automated investing, automate your savings strategy with our service Autopilot, and give you a single view of your finances with our intuitive mobile app.
Our ultimate vision is to optimize and automate all of our clients’ finances and build what we call Self-Driving Money™️. We want clients to be able to automatically deposit their paycheck into their Wealthfront account, and let us take care of the rest — paying their bills, topping off their emergency fund or 401(k), and investing the rest based on their specific goals and lifestyle. To get there, we’ll be focusing the bulk of our efforts on creating a better alternative to what the banking industry provides. Join us so you can help us turn this industry on its head and build a service that our clients don't just like, they love.