Senior Data Engineer
Palo Alto, CA /
Our goal is to provide better experiences and financial outcomes for our clients as we understand their financial situations and aspirations. To do this, we need to both scale our platform to handle our growing client base and deliver new features. Our data engineering team is at the center of this exciting challenge.
As a Wealthfront Data Engineer, you will be challenged to help build a cloud-native Data Analytics Platform that securely manages our clients’ financial data. Most data platforms use data for reporting and ad hoc analysis. We push the boundaries of real-time decisioning using ML and optimization within our product experiences. Optimized cost to serve, high throughput, low latency insights are new challenges to most data engineers today. As part of an agile team in a startup, you will have input, impact and ownership in the entire process rather than be part of a large company assembly line.
* Note: This role has the option to be U.S.-based remote or based in Palo Alto, CA.
- Help implement data platform capabilities and patterns
- Lead engineering initiatives to deliver on these capabilities
- Understand and anticipate stakeholder needs and translate needs into deliverable data platform components
- Design and develop reusable components and frameworks for ingestion, cleansing, and data quality.
- Collaborate with data team, product owners, Scrum-master to refine and estimate stories/epics
- Be an integral part of our scrum team to deliver on commitments on time and with good quality
Education, skills and experience
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Engineering or a related field, or equivalent training, fellowship, or work experience.
- 4+ years of experience with Bachelor’s degree or Masters degree in relevant fields with 2+ years experience in Data engineering / Big Data.
- 2+ years of experience working with data technologies that power analytics (e.g. EMR, Spark, Kafka, Airflow, Redshift or Data warehouse, etc)
- Understanding of data persistence (relational, key/value, document, columnar, OLAP)
- Comfortable with SQL and query performance tuning
- Expertise in object-oriented and/or functional programming languages (e.g. Java/Scala, Python)
- Excellent written and verbal communication and social skills; able to effectively collaborate with partners
- Detail oriented. Strong prioritization skills and sense of urgency
- Willing to constantly learn and grow
- Loves to learn and experiment with new technologies and shares findings with the team
- Effective team player. Honest and respectful of others
Additional preferred skills
- AWS Certifications
- Functional programming
- Experience with Chef, Jenkins and similar build tools
- Familiar with how reporting software works (Tableau/AWS Quicksight/Superset etc.)
Everyone across the financial spectrum deserves to live secure and rewarding lives. In order to successfully serve clients across the United States, the Wealthfront team is focused on hiring team members with a diverse range of backgrounds, experiences and perspectives. We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Wealthfront is a nextgen banking and investing service. We offer high-interest checking with our Cash Account, help you build your net worth with automated investing, automate your savings strategy with our service Autopilot, and give you a single view of your finances with our intuitive mobile app.
Our ultimate vision is to optimize and automate all of our clients’ finances and build what we call Self-Driving Money™️. We want clients to be able to automatically deposit their paycheck into their Wealthfront account, and let us take care of the rest — paying their bills, topping off their emergency fund or 401(k), and investing the rest based on their specific goals and lifestyle. To get there, we’ll be focusing the bulk of our efforts on creating a better alternative to what the banking industry provides. Join us so you can help us turn this industry on its head and build a service that our clients don't just like, they love.