Senior Data Scientist
Palo Alto, CA /
Data Science and Research /
Wealthfront is the leader in the vision to deliver financial optimization and automation to everyone. Data and its proper use is crucial to that vision and the data science team plays a fundamental role in understanding and interpreting those data sources.
The Wealthfront data science team creates data products to deliver optimized and personalized financial advice, develops best in class investment algorithms, and analyzes our rich financial and behavioral data to make key business decisions. The team draws from a variety of backgrounds in Computer Science & Engineering, Statistics, Economics, Math, Operations Research, and Financial Engineering. We derive strength from this diversity and are constantly learning and teaching each other in a down-to-earth and dynamic environment. We are neither too big where you would be just another cog in the system, nor are we too small that none of our efforts can be realized.
We are seeking an experienced data scientist with a solid foundation in statistics and machine learning to join Wealthfront. The primary responsibility of this role is to provide sustainable, long-term data science tools and solutions to quantify and address complex problems across the various stakeholders of the company. Such solutions must balance the pragmatic needs of the business and the demands of a rigorous analysis; part of this balance involves using the simplest tools and models to get the job done, and when using more involved methods, fully accepting the tradeoffs between complexity and performance. Secondary responsibilities of the role involves supporting more ad hoc, short-term data science related needs of the organization.
- Understand a business problem, frame it in statistical/mathematical/data science terms, and propose a solution that balances pragmatism and rigor
- Building statistical and machine learning models for both statistical inference and prediction
- Collaborate with other teams (data engineering, product, design, marketing, and compliance) and have the ability to translate their amorphous problems into a data science context
- Proactively and independently come up with new projects based on the needs of the stakeholder groups, and ability to abstract problems common to multiple areas with a unified solution/view
- Technically mentor and guide of junior members
- Present technical results to a broad audience
- Bachelor’s or Master’s in statistics, math, applied math, physics, economics, biostatistics, computer science or related area
- 3+ years of working experience with data mining, statistical analyses, and model building/machine learning applications
- Strong understanding of both traditional statistical methods (e.g., linear regression) as well as more modern data science models (e.g., gradient boosted machines) and their respective tradeoffs.
- Excellent theoretical foundation in statistics, probability/mathematics
- Programming fluency in Python or R or similar scripting language
- Strong presentation skills and ability to communicate technical content to an audience with various backgrounds
Everyone across the financial spectrum deserves to live secure and rewarding lives. In order to successfully serve clients across the United States, the Wealthfront team is focused on hiring team members with a diverse range of backgrounds, experiences and perspectives. We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Wealthfront is a nextgen banking and investing service. We offer high-interest checking with our Cash Account, help you build your net worth with automated investing, automate your savings strategy with our service Autopilot, and give you a single view of your finances with our intuitive mobile app.
Our ultimate vision is to optimize and automate all of our clients’ finances and build what we call Self-Driving Money™️. We want clients to be able to automatically deposit their paycheck into their Wealthfront account, and let us take care of the rest — paying their bills, topping off their emergency fund or 401(k), and investing the rest based on their specific goals and lifestyle. To get there, we’ll be focusing the bulk of our efforts on creating a better alternative to what the banking industry provides. Join us so you can help us turn this industry on its head and build a service that our clients don't just like, they love.