Lead Software Engineer (Linking)
Palo Alto, CA
We are looking for a lead engineer for our Linking Platform team. This team owns and operates the backend services and data infrastructure that obtains, processes and serves all of our clients’ external financial data. Linking engineers automate establishing links to our clients' financial institutions and leverage our data infrastructure to efficiently and resiliently aggregate and process data from these accounts. After aggregation, the linking platform is responsible for presenting all other parts of our business with the most up-to-date view of our clients’ finances.
As the lead engineer you will be responsible for leading the team, defining what is important to work on, designing complex, highly scalable systems with third-party dependencies, as well as onboarding other engineers onto the team and mentoring them in foreseeing upcoming challenges and how to resolve them.
- Create and maintain the long-term roadmap and short-term backlog of work for a team of engineers in collaboration with product and other engineering leaders
- Design and build enhancements and new features, along with automated instrumentation and monitoring for our backend services and data pipelines that obtain, process, and serve our clients’ financial data
- Identify areas of existing implementation in need of improvement and leverage your experience and knowledge in collaboration with others to design and build replacement implementations
- Help improve the maintainability and stability of our codebase by fixing issues and adding necessary enhancements to our existing systems
- Ensure smooth operation of the linking backend services and data pipelines by triaging and resolving operational issues as part of a team of on-call engineers with particular attention to reducing toil through proportional investment
- Provide mentorship to other engineers on the team in designing and implementing complex backend systems and serve as a technical resource to peers and new hires
- Serve as technical representative and point of contact to other engineering teams, third party vendors, and the executive team
- 5+ years of experience in developing backend components, services or APIs in Java (or a similar language like C++, C#, or Scala)
- 3+ years of experience working with data technologies that power analytics (such as EMR, Spark, Kafka, Airflow, or Redshift)
- Demonstrated knowledge and understanding of distributed, highly scalable backend and data systems and functional programming paradigms
- Real passion for agile, test-driven development, continuous integration, and automated testing
- Knowledge of SQL and experience working with online data stores (one of MariaDB, MySQL, PostgreSQL, Oracle, or MS SQL Server)
- Experience working with AWS technologies (such as EMR, AuroraDB, ECS, Lambda, or S3)
- Experience working with a scripting language (such as Python, Ruby, or equivalent) to automate repetitive tasks is a plus
- Knowledge of an ORM technology (such as Hibernate or JPA) is a plus
- Knowledge and experience of working with a dependency injection framework (one of Guice, Spring, Pico, Dagger) is a plus
- BS, MS or PhD in computer science or related field
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills and the ability to effectively collaborate with partners
Everyone across the financial spectrum deserves to live secure and rewarding lives. In order to successfully serve clients across the United States, the Wealthfront team is focused on hiring team members with a diverse range of backgrounds, experiences and perspectives. We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Wealthfront is a nextgen banking service. We help you manage your money for both your short-term and long-term goals by providing a cash account with a top-of-market APY, best-in-class automated investment management, and free financial advice, anytime you want it. We entered into the banking space in a big way this past year with the launch of our cash account that offers an interest rate 18x greater than the national average. We’ve been overwhelmed by the response and grew over 100% last year to manage over $23 billion in total client assets.
Our ultimate vision is to optimize and automate all of our clients’ finances and build what we call Self-Driving Money™️. We want clients to be able to automatically deposit their paycheck into their Wealthfront account, and let us take care of the rest — paying their bills, topping off their emergency fund or 401(k), and investing the rest based on their specific goals and lifestyle. To get there, we’ll be focusing the bulk of our 2020 efforts on creating a better alternative to what the banking industry provides. Join us so you can help us turn this industry on its head and build a service that our clients don't just like, they love.