Palo Alto, CA (Open to US-based Remote) /
Our goal is to provide better experiences and financial outcomes for our clients as we understand their financial situations and aspirations. To do this, we need to both scale our platform to handle our growing client base and deliver new features. Our data engineering team is at the center of this exciting challenge.
As a Wealthfront Data Engineer, you will be challenged to help build a cloud-native Data Analytics Platform that securely manages our clients’ financial data. Most data platforms use data for reporting and ad hoc analysis. We push the boundaries of real-time decisioning using ML and optimization within our product experiences. Optimized cost to serve, high throughput, low latency insights are new challenges to most data engineers today. As part of an agile team in a startup, you will have input, impact and ownership in the entire process rather than be part of a large company assembly line.
As a Data Engineer you will:
- Enable data scientists, analysts, product managers, business functions by curating the data sets that they need.
- Model the business data layer (normalized and denormalized) that will expose the data in terms of business entities
- Design, build and deploy scalable and reliable data pipelines (using SQL or other languages) to move and transform data to create business entities.
- Maintain a data catalog of business entities and their attributes to help others understand data semantics
- Manage reporting and dashboarding tools used by direct stakeholders, executives, product management and a diverse set of teams across the company to transform data into meaningful insights
- Help define and maintain company wide metrics and deploy them with data quality checks.
- Build a new best-of-breed data access layer on top of the data platform (Presto/Athena, S3, Redshift) to expose data to all stakeholders
- Become a subject matter expert in various areas regarding the data at Wealthfront including domains of data like clickstream, product usage, cash and investment accounts.
- Collaborate with data platform engineering, product, analytics, data science and other teams
- Be an integral part of scrum team to deliver on commitments on time and with good quality
Education, Skills and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Electrical Engineering, Computer Engineering or related STEM fields is required plus experience in similar roles for 5+ years; Master’s degree in Computer Science, Electrical Engineering, Computer Engineering or related STEM fields with 3+ years of experience in a similar role is preferred. The position requires specialized knowledge and training in data processing and visualization techniques.
- Analytical ability and deductive reasoning
- Good communication skills both oral and written. Can manage stakeholder communications and priorities directly
- Responsive, team-oriented and comfortable working in a dynamic organization with minimal structure and process
- Strong work ethics and ability to collaborate to get to results
- Passionate and detail-oriented about producing high-quality data and analytics, often with requirements that are open-ended
- Expert level SQL knowledge to manipulate data in RDBMS, MPP databases
- Working experience in big data processing using distributed processing frameworks like Spark, Hadoop Map Reduce.
- Experience in a data-driven environment designing and building metrics-focused deliverables in a technical, consumer-facing business
- Experience with one or more analytic reporting tools (Tableau, AWS Quicksight etc.)
Everyone across the financial spectrum deserves to live secure and rewarding lives. In order to successfully serve clients across the United States, the Wealthfront team is focused on hiring team members with a diverse range of backgrounds, experiences and perspectives. We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Wealthfront is a nextgen banking and investing service on a mission to build a financial system that favors people, not institutions. We help you grow your wealth through automated investing and savings tools and give you a complete picture of your financial life with an intuitive mobile app.
Our ultimate vision is to optimize and automate all of our clients’ finances and build what we call Self-Driving Money™️. We want clients to be able to automatically deposit their paycheck into their Wealthfront Cash Account, and let us take care of the rest — pay their bills, top off their emergency fund or 401(k), and invest the rest in their Wealthfront Investing accounts based on their goals. Join us and help turn this industry on its head and build a service that our clients don't just like, they love.