Quantitative Researcher (INFORMS)
Redwood City, CA
Wealthfront’s mission is simple: we believe that everyone deserves sophisticated financial advice. Over the last five years, we have focused on automating services typically reserved for the ultra-wealthy (e.g. tax-aware asset allocation, tax loss harvesting, secured lending, financial planning), and delivering them directly to consumers at an incredibly low cost. We have been rewarded with rapid growth in our client base, and now manage nearly $8 billion in assets.
We are looking for talented individuals passionate about conceptualizing, prototyping, and delivering the next generation of financial services to join the Research group at Wealthfront as Quantitative Researchers. Successful candidates will combine a passion for rigorous analysis, the pragmatism necessary to bring models to data, and a strong desire to work with a unique set of financial and client data. Quantitative Researchers investigate problems spanning portfolio construction (taxable and non-taxable), asset allocation, financial planning, as well as, trade execution and risk modeling. Code and models are the way we express insights and analysis, thus you need to be comfortable working with math, large datasets, and writing significant amounts of code.
- Develop models and algorithms underlying our financial planning and investment products
- Develop actionable insights based on empirical analyses / modeling of relevant data
- Contribute to the development of research infrastructure for modeling, optimization, backtesting, analytics, and data management, to ensure an efficient and robust research process
- Investigate, identify, and acquire internal / external datasets
- Collaborate with other teams (engineering, product, design, marketing, and compliance) to commercialize new products and ongoing enhancements to existing products
- PhD degree in economics / finance / operations research / statistics (or a related discipline with a strong focus on quantitative analysis)
- Experience analyzing complex data and building statistical models
- Strong background in econometrics / statistics / optimization / machine learning
- Programming competency in R and / or Matlab and / or Python
- Programming competency in SQL preferred
- Strong presentation skills and ability to communicate technical content to an audience with varied backgrounds
Wealthfront is the only robo-advisor to offer both investment management and financial planning exclusively through software. Because of this approach, we've quickly become the automated advisor of choice among young people. Anyone can open a Wealthfront investment account with $500 to access a unique investment strategy that includes a combination of a diversified portfolio of ETFs and tax minimization strategies. All clients receive financial planning through the service, Path, at no additional cost. Wealthfront does not charge management fees on the first $10,000 and for amounts above that the annual management fee is 0.25% - a fraction of what financial advisors charge. Wealthfront's strategy is to take high end financial services that are reserved for those who have millions of dollars and deliver them to young consumers through software. The majority of Wealthfront clients are in their 30s and 40s and have less than $1 million to invest. Wealthfront was founded by Andy Rachleff and Dan Carroll, who launched the service in December 2011. Wealthfront has raised over $129 million in funding from Benchmark Capital, DAG Ventures, Dragoneer Investment Group, Greylock Partners, Index Ventures, Ribbit Capital, Social + Capital and Spark Capital, and is based in Redwood City, CA. For more information please visit www.wealthfront.com.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.