Technical Program Manager, R&D Programs
Toronto or Remote (Canada) /
R&D Teams – Engineering /
Permanent Full Time
Wealthsimple is on a mission to help everyone achieve financial freedom, no matter who they are or how much they have. Using smart technology, Wealthsimple takes financial services that are often confusing, opaque and expensive and makes them simple, transparent, and low-cost. We're the company behind some of Canada's leading digital financial products, and are growing faster than ever.
Our team is reimagining what it means to manage your money. Smart, high-performing team members will challenge you to learn and grow every day. We value great work and great ideas — not ego. We're looking for talented people who love a fast-paced environment, and want to ship often and make an impact with groundbreaking ideas.
We’re a remote-first team and output is more important than facetime, so where you choose to work is up to you — as long as you have internet access, you can work from anywhere in Canada. Be a part of our Canadian success story and help shape the financial future of millions — join us! Read our Culture Manual and learn more about how we work.
At Wealthsimple, we are building products for a diverse world and we need a diverse team to do that successfully. We strongly encourage applications from everyone regardless of race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, or disability status. Wealthsimple provides an accessible candidate experience. If you need any accommodations or adjustments throughout the interview process and beyond, please let us know.
About the role:
To support the next stage of Wealthsimple’s growth, we are hiring Technical Program Managers to lead the delivery of our R&D initiatives and help drive value to our clients through Wealthsimple’s strategic mandates.
As a Technical Program Manager (TPM) you will help us deliver new technical solutions and experiences while Wealthsimple scales its business. You will be responsible for overseeing the management of R&D Programs, and utilizing your experience to handle competing priorities, negotiate conflicts with stakeholders, and mitigate risks.
In addition, you will focus on bringing the right level of governance to the delivery of R&D initiatives that will allow teams to cohesively work together, maximize delivery speed, reduce the time from vision to value, strengthen our shipping capabilities for our products and helping teams pivot as the marketplace changes or customers demands shift. We're looking for people with an excitement for reducing complexity, delivering an impactful platform at scale, and bringing our values to life into our products.
R&D Mandates requiring TPMs:
Payments In this role, you’ll work towards building a fast, reliable and frictionless money movement experience that “just works” for our clients without them having to think about it. You will set up our Payments Canada Program, and rapidly deliver core functionalities including direct deposit, pre-authorized debit, real time rails and more. You will be responsible for the delivery of these cross cutting features by partnering with 7-10 teams across engineering, design, fraud & risk, regulatory compliance, finance, and business operations. You are creative in finding solutions to help us innovate payments, while understanding how to work with and leverage foundational payment rails. Throughout the delivery of this program, you will help ensure stakeholders understand and fulfill their evolving roles, provide mentorship to team members, and share program management best practices that can scale with us
Book of Record (BoR) In this role, you’ll have oversight of the design, delivery, and adoption of our new general ledger. You will start your mandate by working with vendors, along with our leadership team, to bring our current ledger process in-house. You will be responsible for delivery of this project, partnering with our engineering, finance, treasury, and regulatory compliance leaders to better understand their needs, and designing and executing on our future-state general ledger that can scale with us. Longer term, you will lead the change management strategy for all individuals that will be using the new general ledger. You will lead this effort by defining analytical approaches to uncover new insights and formulate recommendations; monitor and report on program performance; drive action planning based on insights.
You will accomplish this through:
- Leading iterative continuous delivery of R&D strategic cross-functional initiatives from concept to ship and improve.
- Leading technical design, architecture and solution discussions across R&D teams.
- Defining and streamlining cross-functional dependencies across the organization, and increasing efficiency and velocity of initiative execution.
- Working closely with R&D teams to drive annual, quarterly and monthly roadmap and Objectives & Key Results (OKRs) planning.
- Developing, maintaining and communicating roadmaps, milestones and courses of action for R&D programs and initiatives.
- Managing and reporting on R&D program budget, forecast and performance.
We're looking for someone who:
- Has 5+ years in roles establishing and delivering large-scale digital programs within a technical or engineering organization, preferably within a highly regulated financial services environment.
- Has experience working with cross-functional teams across the organization to deliver complex initiatives iteratively with multiple dependencies and constraints, in a highly dynamic and agile environment.
- Proven ability to operate effectively and autonomously across multiple remote teams and build relationships in situations of extreme ambiguity, with high-level direction.
- Has the ability to communicate highly technical problems and solutions across the business.
- Has strong experience with agile tools (i.e. JIRA) and proven ways of tracking/reporting programs, initiatives within R&D teams.
- Has experience effectively guiding teams through change, demand management, investment prioritization and capacity planning.
- Nice to have: CFA work experience.