Public Affairs Intern (Summer 2023)
Toronto, Ontario /
Internships/Co-ops – General /
We’re looking for a Public Affairs Intern to join the Wealthsimple Team. The key responsibility of this role is to conduct research and analysis that will translate opportunities for strategic communications, policy recommendations, and advocacy that supports our clients and our business. This role will report to the Senior Communications Specialist and work with the Wealthsimple Communications and Government Relations Team.
We are currently looking for candidates for a 4-month term (May-September 2023)
Wealthsimple is on a mission to help everyone achieve financial freedom, no matter who they are or how much they have. Using smart technology, Wealthsimple takes financial services that are often confusing, opaque, and expensive and makes them simple, transparent, and low-cost. We're the company behind some of Canada's leading digital financial products and are growing faster than ever.
Our team is reimagining what it means to manage your money. Smart, high-performing team members will challenge you to learn and grow every day. We value great work and great ideas — not ego. We're looking for talented people who love a fast-paced environment and want to ship often and make an impact with groundbreaking ideas.
We’re a remote-first team, so where you choose to work is up to you — as long as you have internet access, you can work from anywhere in Canada. Be a part of our Canadian success story and help shape the financial future of millions — join us! Read our Culture Manual and learn more about how we work.
In this role, you will have the opportunity to:
- Support the building and development of a critical function at a fast-growing company
- Support internal and external communications by writing and creating content for various audiences.
- Lead competitor analysis, research, and media monitoring as it pertains to both the Canadian and international fintech landscape, tracking key metrics and looking for trends that support our communications and policy objectives.
- Monitor and assess emerging federal and provincial legislative and regulatory activities to evaluate potential impacts on Wealthsimple’s business
- Have exposure to our Product, Operations, Compliance, and Marketing teams to identify communications and policy opportunities that advance issues of priority and/or emerging issues, and support our ambitious product roadmap and even more ambitious mission
- Promote the vast opportunities to improve financial services in Canada that expand access and empower everyone to achieve financial freedom
We’re looking for someone who:
- Recently completed or is currently enrolled in a postgraduate degree in Communications, Public Affairs / Public Policy, or similar.
- Is a quick study. The fintech landscape in Canada is complex, constantly changing, and encompasses banking, capital markets, payments, cryptocurrency, privacy, and cybersecurity. It’s great if you have expertise in some of these issues, but what’s most important is that you can quickly gain it.
- Is a great writer. You have the ability to take complex topics and issues, and communicate them in the Wealthsimple-way: clear, concise, jargon-free, and human.
- Is motivated and accountable. You are comfortable taking initiative, navigating new territory, and constantly searching for ways to make a positive and meaningful contribution to advancing business priorities.
At Wealthsimple, we embrace difference. We believe that getting to the best outcomes requires diverse perspectives and backgrounds. We create space where all voices can be heard so that we can all do our life's best work. We’re committed to openness, curiosity and creating an inclusive culture as we know that diverse teams build better products and generate better ideas. We strongly encourage applications from everyone regardless of race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, or disability status. Wealthsimple provides an accessible candidate experience.
If you need any accommodations or adjustments throughout the interview process and beyond, please let us know.