Senior Product Manager, Fraud
Remote (Canada/US) /
R&D Teams – Product /
Permanent Full Time
Wealthsimple is looking for an experienced, data driven Product Manager to lead our Fraud team as we look to build a world class fraud prevention system.
Wealthsimple is on a mission to help everyone achieve financial freedom, no matter who they are or how much they have. Using smart technology, Wealthsimple takes financial services that are often confusing, opaque and expensive and makes them simple, transparent, and low-cost. We're the company behind some of Canada's leading digital financial products, and are growing faster than ever.
Our team is reimagining what it means to manage your money. Smart, high-performing team members will challenge you to learn and grow every day. We value great work and great ideas — not ego. We're looking for talented people who love a fast-paced environment, and want to ship often and make an impact with groundbreaking ideas.
We’re a remote-first team and output is more important than face time, so where you choose to work is up to you — as long as you have internet access, you can work from anywhere in Canada. Be a part of our Canadian success story and help shape the financial future of millions — join us! Read our Culture Manual and learn more about how we work.
At Wealthsimple, we are building products for a diverse world and we need a diverse team to do that successfully. We strongly encourage applications from everyone regardless of race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, or disability status. Wealthsimple provides an accessible candidate experience. If you need any accommodations or adjustments throughout the interview process and beyond, please let us know.
More About the Data Fraud Team
Our team is responsible for making sure our ecosystem is free from fraudulent activity. This team oversees all aspects of Fraud - including mitigation, early detection and fraud investigation tooling. Specifically, this team focuses on:
- Analyzing customer data and behaviours to develop automated heuristics which flag potential fraud and suspicious activity
- Building countermeasures to validate suspected fraud and then mitigate/eliminate it if it's confirmed
This teams also takes a platform-centric approach, with the aim of creating a robust fraud detection + prevention platform that can be utilized by all products.
Specifically, this team focuses on using various data inputs and signals and heuristics to mitigate threats, vulnerabilities and fraud. Along with building different types of models, this team is also responsible for creating fraud preventions systems and frameworks that are utilized by other product teams within their respective applications.
In this role, you will:
- Help define the product vision and strategy, and define and own the roadmap for the Fraud team and its role across our entire product ecosystem.
- Support a cross-functional team of engineers, designers, and data scientists.
- Lead the planning, development, and launch of security and fraud products internally and externally; for example:
- a) Define and iterate on the longer term vision around fraud detection and mitigation platform for both customers and internal stakeholders
- b) Oversee the performance of early threat identification models and work with data-science to validate new threat detection models, and then operationalize them at a scale
- c) Partner with technology vendors within the fraud and threat detection space to enhance early detection and mitigation
- d) Create reusable fraud identification and mitigation capabilities that can be utilized on-demand by products.
- Establish and own a variety of metrics related to fraud detection and reduction (e.g. fraud/loss rates, speed of detection after sign up, accuracy of fraud vs false positives).
- Partner with other engineering teams and departments across the company (e.g. Operations, Legal and Compliance, and more) to build compliant, efficient, and industry-leading security features
- Evaluate third-party vendors and develop business cases for how we can continue to flawlessly execute fraud detection in real-time — trading off between efficacy, user experience, and potential losses due to fraud.
- Work closely with product teams to minimize friction for good actors, while precisely & selectively weeding out bad actors who would do us harm
- Help elevate the Product Management practice at Wealthsimple and create an inclusive and supportive team culture.
We're looking for someone who has...
- A multi-year track record of building and shipping products that customers love, and experience across both customer-facing and platform product management. You’ve owned a complete product or large parts of an offering and are comfortable leading large cross-functional projects with significant technical complexity (e.g., a system re-architecture, a major data migration, etc.).
- A shipping mentality. We don't believe in spending forever analyzing and debating. The best way to validate something is to ship it — so let's ship it, learn, and iterate.
- Enough technical know-how to talk with engineers about architecture and technical considerations that impact product, and a desire to learn what you don’t know to help drive decision making.
- A passion for financial inclusion and building products that increase access to financial freedom for everyone.
- Bonus: Experience working in the fraud prevention space.
We're looking for someone who is...
- A systems thinker that can distill many use-cases into a simple, elegant, generic logical solution design.
- A strong technical partner who is comfortable working with engineering to translate a logical system design into a technical architecture design.
- Able to navigate uncertainty and ambiguity and adept at synthesizing actionable problems, insights, and requirements from raw, unstructured qualitative and quantitative data.
- A thoughtful, critical thinker who follows a systematic and rigorous approach to problem solving.
- Scrappy and comfortable flexing into different roles to support your team. For example:
- a) Business model and business case development
- b) Workflow and operational process development
- c) Negotiation with external vendors, regulatory bodies, and more.
- d) Project management
- An excellent communicator that can convey complex ideas succinctly and clearly.
- A naturally collaborative and empathetic leader; comfortable working with a diverse group of stakeholders, making making sure every voice is heard.
- Passionate about creating simple and elegant user-experiences. You can’t help but critique the UX of the apps you use.