Engineering Team Lead, Manager, Sr. Manager
Toronto or Remote (Canada) /
R&D Teams – Engineering /
Permanent Full Time
Wealthsimple is on a mission to help everyone achieve financial freedom, no matter who they are or how much they have. Using smart technology, Wealthsimple takes financial services that are often confusing, opaque and expensive and makes them simple, transparent, and low-cost. We're the company behind some of Canada's leading digital financial products, and are growing faster than ever.
Our team is reimagining what it means to manage your money. Smart, high-performing team members will challenge you to learn and grow every day. We value great work and great ideas — not ego. We're looking for talented people who love a fast-paced environment, and want to ship often and make an impact with groundbreaking ideas.
We’re a remote-first team and output is more important than face time, so where you choose to work is up to you — as long as you have internet access, you can work from anywhere in Canada. Be a part of our Canadian success story and help shape the financial future of millions — join us! Read our Culture Manual and learn more about how we work.
At Wealthsimple, we are building products for a diverse world and we need a diverse team to do that successfully. We strongly encourage applications from everyone regardless of race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, or disability status. Wealthsimple provides an accessible candidate experience. If you need any accommodations or adjustments throughout the interview process and beyond, please let us know.
About the job
Over the past year we have launched several new products, including our commission-free stock trading platform, and a peer-to-peer cash app. Along with these new products, we’ve also seen our client base grow massively, taking us towards our goal of helping Canadians access financial freedom.
To support this next stage of Wealthsimple’s growth, we are hiring engineering managers across all of our teams (currently focusing on our Trade, Growth, Money Movement, and Invest teams). Engineering management at Wealthsimple provides a unique opportunity to help influence and architect the next stage of our engineering culture, with an emphasis on building diverse, happy, healthy, and high-performing teams.
Our services help millions of Canadians manage billions of dollars across a full suite of financial products, and our ambitious product roadmap provides an opportunity to reimagine financial services in Canada.
We're building the world's most human financial company, and need our managers to help set the vision and standards for others in the company. We're looking for people with an excitement for reducing complexity, building impactful software at scale, and bringing our values to life into our products. We are moving to a world of Domain-Driven Design and have an opportunity to redraw system boundaries and make changes that will affect the entire product suite going forward!
In this role, you will have the opportunity to:
- Lead teams of engineers as we build the future of financial services
- Help architect the next stage of Wealthsimple’s systems, supporting millions of clients
- Set organizational standards and influence our engineering culture
- Lead development and maintenance of our services and improve their operations
- Work where you are (while our Canadian offices are located in Toronto, we are a remote-first workforce and you can join from anywhere in Canada!)
We're looking for someone who:
- Is able to articulate their stance in a manner that effectively communicates why a solution could be the best way forward
- Adjusts quickly to changing priorities and effectively manages complexity and change
- Can coach people in their current roles to improve performance and prepare them for future roles
- Has exceptional communication skills and is able to communicate effectively to both technical and non-technical teams
- Plans, organizes, schedules, and budgets in an efficient, productive manner
- Believes that open discussion, inclusivity and transparency result in better products
- Is eager to teach and learn from your team. We value making each other successful!
- Is a lifelong learner. You’re constantly seeking and welcoming feedback to continue improving yourself and your craft
Skills we’re looking for:
- Experience leading software development teams and a proven dedication to helping your team and others grow
- Knowledge of agile development process
- Demonstrated experience with microservices and distributed systems at scale
- Proven track record of delivering well-designed and tested software
- Solid understanding of relational databases (SQL) and architecture best practices
Our tech stack:
- We have a service-oriented architecture with over 100+ services
- These services are a mixture of Ruby on Rails, Java/Kotlin, and front end UI libraries written in React or React Native
- We host our services on Amazon Web Services and use things like RDS, Aurora, SQS, SNS, S3, Kafka, etc.
- We have amazing infrastructure & security teams
- We follow best practices and have great tools for profiling, logging, tracing, tracking, and experimenting