Senior Software Engineer - Credit Platform
Remote (Canada/US) /
R&D Teams – Fraud & Risk /
Permanent Full Time
Wealthsimple is on a mission to help everyone achieve financial freedom, no matter who they are or how much they have. Using smart technology, Wealthsimple takes financial services that are often confusing, opaque and expensive and makes them simple, transparent, and low-cost. We're the company behind some of Canada's leading digital financial products, and are growing faster than ever.
Our team is reimagining what it means to manage your money. Smart, high-performing team members will challenge you to learn and grow every day. We value great work and great ideas — not ego. We're looking for talented people who love a fast-paced environment, and want to ship often and make an impact with groundbreaking ideas.
We’re a remote-first team and output is more important than facetime, so where you choose to work is up to you — as long as you have internet access, you can work from anywhere in Canada. Be a part of our Canadian success story and help shape the financial future of millions — join us! Read our Culture Manual and learn more about how we work.
At Wealthsimple, we are building products for a diverse world and we need a diverse team to do that successfully. We strongly encourage applications from everyone regardless of race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, or disability status. Wealthsimple provides an accessible candidate experience. If you need any accommodations or adjustments throughout the interview process and beyond, please let us know.
Engineering @ Wealthsimple
Wealthsimple has several engineering teams ranging from product focused to back office and our teams build and manage the software that powers our services. We do this using a microservice architecture and an agile approach, focused on short iterations and rigorous automated testing, deploying our code over 100 times a day.
We maximize our productivity by building high-performing teams and giving them autonomy to deliver results, working very closely with product management, design and operations to make sure that our work delivers maximum benefit for our clients.
About the team:
The Credit Platform team is responsible for building thoughtful credit-powered experiences through our Credit Platform. We aim to bring differentiated experiences to our clients by staying true to our value of keeping it simple.
Our team is looking for talented Engineers who are excited about building systems leveraging data to make decisions.
We are building our credit platform, making this an ideal time for you to leave your legacy and have that organization-wide impact. We are looking for highly collaborative engineers who can independently own services with strict performance and availability requirements.
In this role, you are someone who:
- Believes that simple is better
- Believes that debate, inclusivity and transparency result in better products
- Takes ownership and pride in working on projects to successful completion
- Has high standards and holds yourself and others accountable
- Guides and mentors junior engineers on the team
- Pairs with team members to architect and implement technical solutions
Skills we're looking for:
- Hands-on experience with Ruby on Rails or similar frameworks like Django.
- Experience implementing REST and/or GraphQL APIs.
- Experience in developing backend components, services or APIs using Node.js, Typescript, Ruby, Kotlin and Python
- Experience with Kafka, Flink and event streaming
- Working knowledge of SQL and databases, Experience with Postgres/MySQL databases is a plus
- Demonstrates good judgment under pressure both in terms of technical problem solving and collaborating cross functionally
- Experience helping build and architect microservices and distributed systems
- Effective communication skills and a drive to work collaboratively across teams
- Bonus points for ML and credit domain experience
Our Tech Stack
- We have a service oriented architecture with 100+ services built with Ruby on Rails, Java/Kotlin and Python
- We have an event-driven architecture and use GraphQL APIs to represent our data model
- We host our services on Amazon Web Services and use things like RDS, Aurora, SQS, SNS, S3, Kafka, etc.
- We have amazing infrastructure, security, and developer tools teams
- We follow best practices and have great tools for profiling, logging, tracing, tracking and experimenting
Wealthsimple is committed to creating a diverse and inclusive culture, one which reflects the world in which we live.
We encourage applications from candidates of colour, women, queer candidates, indigenous peoples, candidates with family caregiving responsibilities, immigrant candidates, transgender candidates and candidates with disabilities.
At Wealthsimple, we are dedicated to creating a culture with a diversity of talented individuals who join, stay, and work in an environment that enables them to thrive.