Data Scientist, Sales
Toronto, Ontario /
R&D Teams – Data Science & Engineering /
Permanent Full Time
Wealthsimple is on a mission to help everyone achieve financial freedom, no matter who they are or how much they have. Using smart technology, Wealthsimple takes financial services that are often confusing, opaque and expensive and makes them simple, transparent, and low-cost. We're the company behind some of Canada's leading digital financial products, and are growing faster than ever.
Our team is reimagining what it means to manage your money. Smart, high-performing team members will challenge you to learn and grow every day. We value great work and great ideas — not ego. We're looking for talented people who love a fast-paced environment, and want to ship often and make an impact with groundbreaking ideas.
We’re a remote-first team and output is more important than face time, so where you choose to work is up to you — as long as you have internet access, you can work from anywhere in Canada. Be a part of our Canadian success story and help shape the financial future of millions — join us! Read our Culture Manual and learn more about how we work.
About the team:
The Data Science & Engineering (DSE) team consists of analytics engineers, data scientists, and software engineers with diverse educational backgrounds such as math, operations research, economics, computer science, engineering and business. The team is responsible for enabling data-driven decision making and building data products at Wealthsimple.
We achieve these goals by:
- Building a high quality and scalable state-of-the-art data warehouse that powers all decision making
- Leveraging machine learning and algorithms to help Wealthsimple build smarter financial products
- Using decision science to understand the cause and effect of our business decisions
About the role:
We are hiring for a Data Scientist on the Data Science - Sales & Revenue team. This role will support our Sales team and you will be at the intersection of sales, marketing and data science. You will be responsible for building robust, efficient and integrated data models that enable analytics across the sales organization. You will play a critical role in building probabilistic machine learning models to help the sales teams target high potential leads to convert. You will provide analysis, insights and recommendations to the sales team. The successful Data Scientist is able to blend business acumen and software engineering best practices while effectively communicating with stakeholders.
In this role, you will have the opportunity to:
- Partner with our Sales team to support efforts across some of Wealthsimple’s highest priority efforts
- Build data models in cloud data warehouse that will be used as the source of truth for analytics across the sales organization
- Build probabilistic machine learning models to help sales team identify and target high potential leads to convert
- Apply software engineering best practices like version control and continuous integration to the analytics code base; ensure data models are well tested, documented and maintained
- Translate business requirements into data models and analysis that will help stakeholders answer key business questions and inform strategic decisions
- Act as a key liaison between the Data Science team and the Sales teams including Sales Strategy and Operations, Business Development, Portfolio Management and Wealthsimple Work; this is inclusive of introducing best practices and continuously raising the bar
- Continuously look for the simplest, most effective way to approach challenges; Occam's razor is your friend
- Take ownership and ship it
- Teach and learn from your teammates. We value making others successful
Skills we are looking for:
- Excellent Python & SQL skills
- Experience with dbt
- Comfortable with software engineering best practices like version control and using Git
- Experience with a cloud data warehousing (Snowflake, Bigquery, Redshift)
- Proficient understanding of data warehousing methodologies and concepts (Kimball, Inmon, etc)
- Experience working as part of a data team; either a data analyst, data scientist, or data engineer
- Experience driving insights and solving hard problems with well-supported and pragmatic solutions
- Excellent interpersonal skills and experience in highly collaborative environments
- Excellent communicator who is able to speak plainly and truthfully, communicating complex ideas in a simple & easy-to-understand way for any audience
At Wealthsimple, we are building products for a diverse world and we need a diverse team to do that successfully. We strongly encourage applications from everyone regardless of race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, or disability status. Wealthsimple provides an accessible candidate experience. If you need any accommodations or adjustments throughout the interview process and beyond, please let us know.