Chief Anti-Money Laundering Officer
Remote (Canada/US) /
Business Teams – Legal/Compliance /
Permanent Full Time
Wealthsimple is on a mission to help everyone achieve financial freedom, no matter who they are or how much they have. Using smart technology, Wealthsimple takes financial services that are often confusing, opaque and expensive and makes them simple, transparent, and low-cost. We're the company behind some of Canada's leading digital financial products, and are growing faster than ever.
Our team is reimagining what it means to manage your money. Smart, high-performing team members will challenge you to learn and grow every day. We value great work and great ideas — not ego. We're looking for talented people who love a fast-paced environment, and want to ship often and make an impact with groundbreaking ideas.
We’re a remote-first team and output is more important than face time, so where you choose to work is up to you — as long as you have internet access, you can work from anywhere in Canada. Be a part of our Canadian success story and help shape the financial future of millions — join us! Read our Culture Manual and learn more about how we work.
At Wealthsimple, we are building products for a diverse world and we need a diverse team to do that successfully. We strongly encourage applications from everyone regardless of race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, or disability status. Wealthsimple provides an accessible candidate experience. If you need any accommodations or adjustments throughout the interview process and beyond, please let us know.
The Chief Anti-Money Laundering Officer (CAMLO) will be responsible for all aspects of Wealthsimple’s AML/CTF program, which spans brokerage, investment management, crypto-assets and payments. This role is a “hands on” role and will require attention to detail, innovative thought, resourcefulness, and the ability to apply a pragmatic approach to the work at hand. The ideal candidate will be willing to experiment, move quickly and responsibly, and focus on results.
In this role, you will have the opportunity to:
- Provide direction to Operations, Fraud, Product and Engineering to build a simple but innovative AML program in an increasingly complex regulatory environment
- Lead a team of senior AML professionals in addition to contract staff
- Oversee AML-related third party audits, regulatory examinations and requests from banking partners or third parties
- Proactively identify and address situations that may pose significant compliance risk and guide management in the development and implementation of relevant policies, procedures and business practices
- Provide quarterly board reporting on AML/CTF matters
- Build and operate a scalable Transaction Monitoring and Name Screening program for multiple regulators and entities
- Lead the design and implementation of testing and training programs
- Provide recommendations and guidance relating to existing internal and third party tools, including oversight of third party control reporting
- Guide a holistic AML program that bridges multiple products, including both retail and capital markets, and both fiat and crypto money movement
- Take a systems approach, with a focus on creating best-in-class client onboarding experiences within a compliant AML framework
- Partner with cross-functional R&D and Operations teams to educate and drive the appropriate execution of compliance requirements
- Utilize data, which includes overseeing the development of compliance dashboards, regulatory reporting, compliance monitoring and developing automated solutions, to make risk-based compliance decisions
We're looking for someone who has:
- 10+ years of work experience in financial technology or technology-driven financial services firm with leadership roles in AML/CTF programs
- Certified Anti-Money Laundering Specialist (CAMS) designation
- Deep knowledge and understanding of money laundering risks, systems and controls related to a full-service financial institution, including securities, crypto and payments businesses
- Advanced experience working with regulators and setting regulatory engagement strategies; ability to advise on impact of regulatory changes
- Technical proficiency; experience analyzing large data sets and leveraging business intelligence tools to drive analysis to insight; experience with SQL and other programming languages is an asset
- Comfort with ambiguity; ability to own large-scale and ill-defined problems, identifying where effort and investment is warranted, and seeing solutions through to completion
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills with superior attention to detail
- Excellent interpersonal skills and demonstrated expertise collaborating with a wide range of technical experts (e.g., developers, data scientists, etc.)
- A clear bias for action and ability to act without being told what to do, takes full ownership over work and seeks help and input when needed
- Proven leadership; effective at inspiring and leading an ambitious team, delegating roles and responsibilities to execute on an enterprise-wide program vision
- Strong communication skills; a great listener, able to speak plainly and truthfully and an excellent written communicator, able to convey complex ideas in a simple and easy-to-understand way for any audience
- Ability to bring structure and organization to any environment; independently plans and organizes proactively, focusing on key priorities and adapting when required
- Honesty and integrity; doesn't cut corners and does what is right, not what is politically expedient