UX Manager, Crypto
Toronto or Remote (Canada) /
R&D Teams – UX /
Permanent Full Time
Wealthsimple is on a mission to help everyone achieve financial freedom, no matter who they are or how much they have. Using smart technology, Wealthsimple takes financial services that are often confusing, opaque and expensive and makes them simple, transparent, and low-cost. We're the company behind some of Canada's leading digital financial products, and are growing faster than ever.
Our team is reimagining what it means to manage your money. Smart, high-performing team members will challenge you to learn and grow every day. We value great work and great ideas — not ego. We're looking for talented people who love a fast-paced environment, and want to ship often and make an impact with groundbreaking ideas.
We’re a remote-first team and output is more important than face time, so where you choose to work is up to you — as long as you have internet access, you can work from anywhere in Canada. Be a part of our Canadian success story and help shape the financial future of millions — join us! Read our Culture Manual and learn more about how we work.
At Wealthsimple, we are building products for a diverse world and we need a diverse team to do that successfully. We strongly encourage applications from everyone regardless of race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, or disability status. Wealthsimple provides an accessible candidate experience. If you need any accommodations or adjustments throughout the interview process and beyond, please let us know.
User Experience at Wealthsimple:
We're a close-knit UX team made up of Product Designers, Content Strategists and UX Researchers. We're embedded on product teams so that we can be involved with projects from the get-go and work really closely with other disciplines at every stage of the process. We work purposefully and think big when it comes to our growth as a team and individuals. It's important to us that we have a collaborative and supportive environment to work in every day. Our empathy for our users sets the bar really high for the products and experiences we create.
We’re looking for a UX Manager to lead the Crypto team
Wealthsimple Crypto is a mobile-first product that provides investors access to fully regulated cryptocurrency trading - the first of its kind in Canada. Crypto launched in September 2020 as a lean MVP, and has become our fastest growing business. We believe crypto will power many aspects of consumer finance in the future, and we’re on a mission create the most human crypto platform in Canada: a simple and secure option that demystifies crypto and makes it accessible to everyone, no matter their age, net worth, background or education.
In this role you will lead the discovery, research, and launch of a variety of initiatives and experiments, for example:
- Core crypto trading features
- New financial instrumentations and products for crypto (e.g. lending, staking)
- Education that makes crypto more accessible to a diverse customer base
- Pricing and business model experiments
- Web3 experiments like building a wallet, integrating with DeFi protocols, and enabling users to buy and sell
This person is someone we can count on to:
- Work directly with the Head of Crypto, product leadership, and other members of the executive team to define the Crypto product vision and strategy, including our core trading platform and cutting-edge areas of web3 like decentralized finance and NFTs
- Represent Crypto across the organization; you are the steward of the Crypto business, and a champion of the Crypto customer.
- Build a deep understanding of our Crypto systems, processes, and partners — and how they all fit together.
- Understand the strategic direction and vision for their working area(s) and ensure all UX efforts are aligned with that direction
- Lead a team comprised of multiple disciplines (Design, UX Research, Product Content) in their team or product mandate
- Build diverse teams and inclusive team culture
- Work alongside product management and engineering peers to explore, build, and launch client-centered user experiences
- Advocate for rigorous, transparent, user-driven decision making
- Create an atmosphere of high UX quality of the features built in their given mandate
- Own and be accountable for the overall quality of their team’s processes and capabilities
- Be an expert facilitator that values diverse perspectives and opinions
- Promote timely UX insights, translating them into actionable recommendations that inform product strategy
Within 3 months, you’ll:
- Complete our company-wide onboarding program where you’ll meet and learn about all areas of our business
- Spend time with your direct reports, getting to know them, their goals, and what they’ve been working on
- Dive into the UX process by pairing with and shadowing other members of the UX team
- Bring knowledge and expertise in developing helpful framing artifacts such as job stories, content modelling, design sprint frameworks, research plans and more
- Work together with Product Managers and Engineering Managers to plan and ship your first projects with your team
- Create opportunities to translate your strengths into training for others on your team
- Support your team in presenting their work to stakeholders and collaborators
Within 6 months, you’ll:
- Apply foresight to identify the best tools to be able to align, commit, and evolve a problem.
- Empower and educate your team on the usage of frameworks and methodologies to gain insight and learnings
- Build strong working relationships with key stakeholders to ensure the team is focusing on the right problem, at the right time
- Coach team members, offer regular feedback, and support them in defining and reaching their career goals
- Lead your team to iterate and improve upon our UX processes and consistently champion them as best practice
- Incorporate user research regarding client behaviour in the story, rationale, and positioning of an initiative
- Seek out areas of opportunity to scale and improve upon our process and ways of working
- Commit whole-heartedly to the success of the product and discipline areas assigned to you
Within 12 months you’ll:
- Anticipate and solve nuanced UX problems across the Wealthsimple ecosystem
- Serve as a role model in being able to speak the language of other disciplines, such as Product Management, Engineering, and Product Marketing, in an effort to communicate the value of UX
- Partner with discipline leaders to craft a scalable UX vision and uphold discipline excellence
- Take ownership of successes and failures stemming from UX decisions in your team’s working areas
- Champion and educate cross-functional R&D partners and leaders in the value of UX processes in the team and beyond
- Grow the team’s ability to balance multiple initiatives by working through constraints with resourcefulness, self-sufficiency, and invention
- Create robust team rituals to support onboarding of new team members, collaboration and feedback
- Support career objectives that transcend the craft alone, such as communication skills, framing and strategic thinking, alignment & foresight, and business acumen skills
- Create scalable processes that help cross-functional partners better understand the value of UX excellence to the business and to clients
- Work with UX leadership to define the overall vision and structure of the UX team
If you’re excited to be part of Wealthsimple's mission and the impact we can have on the world, along with your resume, send us 2-4 case studies that demonstrate:
- Your ability to lead UXers across UX disciplines in producing polished and well-thought-out user experiences
- Your growth and learnings throughout your time as a lead/manager
- Your UX process and how you collaborate with other disciplines