Senior Software Engineer, Crypto
Toronto or Remote (Canada) /
R&D Teams – Engineering /
Permanent Full Time
Wealthsimple is on a mission to help everyone achieve financial freedom, no matter who they are or how much they have. Using smart technology, Wealthsimple takes financial services that are often confusing, opaque and expensive and makes them simple, transparent, and low-cost. We're the company behind some of Canada's leading digital financial products, and are growing faster than ever.
Our team is reimagining what it means to manage your money. Smart, high-performing team members will challenge you to learn and grow every day. We value great work and great ideas — not ego. We're looking for talented people who love a fast-paced environment, and want to ship often and make an impact with groundbreaking ideas.
We’re a remote-first team and output is more important than face time, so where you choose to work is up to you — as long as you have internet access, you can work from anywhere in Canada. Be a part of our Canadian success story and help shape the financial future of millions — join us! Read our Culture Manual and learn more about how we work.
At Wealthsimple, we are building products for a diverse world and we need a diverse team to do that successfully. We strongly encourage applications from everyone regardless of race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, or disability status. Wealthsimple provides an accessible candidate experience. If you need any accommodations or adjustments throughout the interview process and beyond, please let us know.
Engineering @ Wealthsimple
Wealthsimple has several engineering teams ranging from product focused to back office and our teams build and manage the software that powers our services. We do this using a microservice architecture and an agile approach, focused on short iterations and rigorous automated testing, deploying our code over 100 times a day. We maximize our productivity by building high-performing teams and giving them autonomy to deliver results, working very closely with product management, design and operations to make sure that our work delivers maximum benefit for our clients.
Crypto @ Wealthsimple
Our vision is to enable all Canadians to participate in and benefit from the crypto ecosystem no matter who they are.
We aspire to build a simple, safe and trusted platform that emphasizes education and provides access to all the benefits and opportunities that crypto may have to offer.
We have ambitious plans for Crypto, that go much further beyond our current trading platform, and are looking for individuals that can help us shape and execute on that vision.
We're a fast growing engineering team and you have the opportunity to be a part of that growth and shape the product. You will work across our stack (React, Typescript, Ruby on Rails) but also have the time to work on personal projects that help bring WS clients the benefits of the wider crypto ecosystem.
In this role, you will have the opportunity to:
- Work in a fast-paced, rapidly-growing team to make WS Crypto best-in-class and bring the potential of the broader crypto ecosystem to Wealthsimple clients.
- Work with a variety of exciting technologies across engineering disciplines - you may be working on a Web3 project one day and solving scaling problems the next!
- Collaborate with other engineering teams and departments across the company to evolve the WS Crypto product.
- Use 20% time to focus on passion projects and innovate in the crypto space.
We're Looking for someone who:
- Has experience in and passion for the potential of Crypto, DeFI, & NFTs.
- A passion for financial inclusion and building products that increase access to financial freedom for everyone.
- Is comfortable working across the tech stack.
- Writes clean and well-tested code.
Nice to have:
- Hands-on development experience with cryptocurrencies and/or Web3 technologies; whether through work experience or personal projects.
- Experience with Ruby on Rails, Typescript and React
- Experience integrating with third-party APIs
Our tech stack
- We have a microservice architecture with over 100+ services — these services are a mixture of Ruby on Rails, NodeJS (Typescript) and front end UI libraries written in React or React Native
- We are currently evolving our architecture to adopt event-driven design with Kafka as well as using GraphQL APIs to represent our data model
- We host our services on Amazon Web Services and use things like RDS, Aurora, SQS, SNS, S3, Kafka, etc.
- We follow the latest best practices and have great tools for profiling, logging, tracing, tracking and experimenting
- We have support from frontend platform, infrastructure, security and developer tools teams with a mission to help us work smarter and more efficiently