Software Developer, Data Engineering
Toronto, Ontario /
R&D Teams – Engineering /
Permanent Full Time
Wealthsimple is on a mission to help everyone achieve financial freedom, no matter who they are or how much they have. Using smart technology, Wealthsimple takes financial services that are often confusing, opaque and expensive and makes them simple, transparent, and low-cost. We're the company behind some of Canada's leading digital financial products, and are growing faster than ever.
Our team is reimagining what it means to manage your money. Smart, high-performing team members will challenge you to learn and grow every day. We value great work and great ideas — not ego. We're looking for talented people who love a fast-paced environment, and want to ship often and make an impact with groundbreaking ideas.
We’re a remote-first team and output is more important than face time, so where you choose to work is up to you — as long as you have internet access, you can work from anywhere in Canada. Be a part of our Canadian success story and help shape the financial future of millions — join us! Read our Culture Manual and learn more about how we work.
At Wealthsimple, we are building products for a diverse world and we need a diverse team to do that successfully. We strongly encourage applications from everyone regardless of race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, or disability status. Wealthsimple provides an accessible candidate experience. If you need any accommodations or adjustments throughout the interview process and beyond, please let us know.
About the Data Engineering Team
The Data Engineering team at Wealthsimple consists of software engineers with diverse backgrounds in math, operations research, computer science, engineering and business. The team is responsible for:
1. Wealthsimple’s data platform, including machine learning foundation, data reconciliation, analytics tool, etc.
2. Data extract, transform and load process across products and analytics
3. Enterprise databases and data warehousing operations
We are seeking talented software engineers who are excited to shape out Wealthsimple’s data engineering foundation. We understand each software engineer working in data has a unique blend of skills so whether your strength is in data platform or data modelling or stream processing, we'd love to chat with you 🙂
In this role, you will have the opportunity to:
- Partner with stakeholders across different product domains, infrastructure, and leadership, driving resolving data-related technical problems at scale
- Build and operate large-scale distributed systems such as Airflow, Flink, Kafka, Redshift, Spark, etc.
- Design, build and launch data pipelines at scale to move data across Wealthsimple platform with SQL technologies
- Build analytical tools that provide insight into business metrics across Wealthsimple
- Lead complex technical efforts involving many engineers regarding project impact, product quality and engineering efficiency
- Work with a large amount of autonomy to set the technical direction for scalable projects
Skills we're looking for:
- 3-5 years of experience with one or more coding languages such as Python (is a must), Java, Kotlin, Ruby.
- Experience working with data at scale using distributed platforms such as Airflow, Redshift, Flink, Kafka, Spark, or similar.
- Experience with data modelling and ETL design, implementation and maintenance.
- Experience with different database platforms such as Oracle and Postgresql.
- Exposure to AWS RDS Aurora, EC2, Redshift, Datalakes, Glue.
- Experience with SQL performance tuning and optimization.
- Experience with design and implementation of high-performance systems with reliable monitoring and logging.