Senior Software Engineer - Book of Record
Technical Teams – Book of Record /
Wealthsimple is a financial services company on a mission to help everyone achieve financial freedom by providing products and advice that are accessible and affordable. Using smart technology, Wealthsimple takes financial services that are often confusing, opaque and expensive and makes them simple, transparent, and low-cost.
With over 1 million people using Wealthsimple products, we are the market leader in Canada, and we’re fast growing in the US and UK. Our team is working together to build one of the most innovative fintech companies in the world and we're looking for talented people who want to help us move fast, ship often and make a huge impact. Join us on our mission to make financial services simple and affordable for everyone!
Read our Culture Manual to learn more about us and how we work.
Engineering @ Wealthsimple
Wealthsimple has several engineering teams ranging from product focused to back office and our teams build and manage the software that powers our services. We do this using a microservice architecture and an agile approach, focused on short iterations and rigorous automated testing, deploying our code over 100 times a day. We maximize our productivity by building high-performing teams and giving them autonomy to deliver results, working very closely with product management, design and operations to make sure that our work delivers maximum benefit for our clients.
Book of Record Team
The Book of Record (BOR) team is responsible for keeping track of all the financial assets of our clients. Whether it’s stocks, ETF’s or cash, we need to track it accurately and make it highly available for display in the consumer facing apps (Wealthsimple Invest and Wealthsimple Trade) and available for internal consumption to generate product and tax statements. We keep all of this in our ledger, hence we are called the Book of Record team.
Our team is looking for talented Senior Engineers who are excited about building systems with large amounts of transactional data. We are also transitioning from a batch-driven way to post to the ledger to a continuous process and this is the ideal time to leave your mark if you want to contribute to the design of such a system. We are looking for folks who can independently own services with strict performance and availability requirements.
In this role, you are someone who:
- Believes that simple is better
- Loves to dive deep into the data, tools and languages you use and is passionate about how a modern software development process should be designed
- Believes that debate, inclusivity and transparency result in better products
- Takes ownership and pride in working on projects to successful completion
- Understands distributed systems and scale, but is also pragmatic
- Has high standards and holds yourself and others accountable
- Can debug deadlocked threads, tune garbage collection, optimize memory usage and tweak database indices
- Is comfortable working with Reactive, Functional style Java and the streaming APIs
Skills we're looking for:
- Deep experience with Java/Kotlin (bonus points for being comfortable in either Ruby or Python)
- Experience helping build and architect microservices and distributed systems
- A proven track record of building the processes and tools needed for delivering well-designed and tested software
- Experience with Postgres/MySQL databases (bonus points if you know your way around Oracle)
- Experience with Kafka and event streaming
- A DevOps mindset: you own your application end-to-end and are able to understand and address infrastructure concerns
- A passion for mentoring and coaching other engineers
- Effective communication skills and a drive to work collaboratively across teams
- Understands and balances competing priorities and keeps yourself and others productive when priorities change or tasks are blocked
At Wealthsimple, we embrace difference. We believe that getting to the best outcomes requires diverse perspectives and backgrounds. We create space where all voices can be heard so that we can all do our life's best work. We’re committed to openness, curiosity and creating an inclusive culture as we know that diverse teams build better products and generate better ideas. We strongly encourage applications from everyone regardless of race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, or disability status.
Wealthsimple provides an accessible candidate experience. If you need any accommodations or adjustments throughout the interview process and beyond, please let us know.