Director of College
East Harlem- High School
DREAM Charter Schools
DREAM Charter School is a part of DREAM (formerly known as DREAM Charter School and Harlem RBI), an innovative educational and youth development organization serving over 2,500 East Harlem and South Bronx youth by providing free, high-quality summer and after-school programs to youth ages 5-22 years in an intensive multi-year commitment that connects youth and families to age-appropriate programs and passionate professional staff over time.
DREAM (formerly known as Harlem RBI), an innovative educational and youth development organization, is seeking a dynamic individual to serve as The Director of College Access and Success. Reporting to the Managing Director of Programs, who will oversee the operations and continual development of DREAM's college access, college success, and alumni programming. Candidates must also understand and value DREAM's comprehensive approach to youth development and inspire, lead, and motivate DREAM staff to drive outcomes that support youth in recognizing their potential and realizing their dreams. Like all DREAM employees, The Director of College Access and Success should demonstrate a strong commitment to the mission and values of DREAM and should have substantial expertise in all areas of responsibility. Come join an organization that was recognized as one of the 50 Best Non-Profits to Work For by The Nonprofit Times.
Roles and Responsibilities
- High School and College Programming
- Oversee execution, planning, and program coordination for DreamWorks (High School) and Legends (College and Alumni) programs
- Set program-wide goals aligned with organization and student needs
- Continuously review and enhance codified program documentation and curriculum
- Develop and implement age and grade-level appropriate milestones, milestone tracking systems, and program elements to drive these goals for 10th-12th grade and college-aged youth
- Oversee evaluation related to the High School and College Success Logic Models for high school and college-aged youth, including assessments related to Social-Emotional Competencies and College & Career Readiness
- Collaborate with the Data and Evaluation Team to ensure the effective use of evaluation techniques, the continuous improvement of programs and the communication of program efficacy.
- Collaborate with DREAM athletics staff to provide baseball & softball programming for high school youth
- Perform other tasks and lead initiatives as may be assigned by the Managing Director of Programs.
- Supervisory Responsibilities
- Supervise 2 Legends program coordinators with caseloads of approximately 50-60 students, and one program manager with two direct reports
- Set and ensure staff meet annual goals through development, support and supervision
- Identify professional development opportunities and ensure staff are trained in all aspects of their work responsibilities
- Conduct regular and rigorous staff evaluations.
- College Access Program Planning
- Collaborate with school and organizational leaders to develop a vision, a long-term plan, and a set of strategic initiatives to support college access and success for DREAM Charter High School students
- Lead efforts to develop a robust college access program for DREAM Charter High School students including college partnerships, college experiences, and individualized counseling and guidance through the college application process
- With Program and School Leadership, effectively manage the transition from community-based out-of-school time programming to school-based programming over the next three years.
- Administrative Responsibilities
- Serve as an external face for DREAM's programs and be available to address any community, parent or participant concerns
- Collaborate with DREAM Leadership and Development Team to seek out external partnerships for programming activities and provide oversight and coordination of fundraising activities that involve students
- Ensure that all programs stay on budget and that all resource needs are met
- Bachelor's Degree and extensive experience working with high school students in school and/or out-of-school time settings (advanced degree in a related field preferred)
- Minimum 4 years experience managing staff and serving in a leadership role in a non-profit or school setting
- Demonstrated knowledge and experience with college access and success programming in New York City
- Flexibility, creativity, and the ability to manage change in a fast-paced environment
- Strategic program thinker dedicated to achieving outcomes through quality programs
- Experience promoting programs to private and public funding sources
- Has an entrepreneurial spirit and an interest in growing a founding team
- Spanish speaking strongly preferred
- Belief in the value of sports and teams as a driver in youth development.
- Salary is highly competitive and commensurate with experience.
- All full-time employees receive an excellent benefits package including health and dental insurance, a 403(B) retirement account, life insurance, twenty days paid vacation per year and access to a full range of social services through our Employee Assistance Program.
DREAM provides equal opportunity for all applicants and employees.