Permanent Substitute Teacher
DREAM Charter Schools /
DREAM Charter School is a part of DREAM (formerly known as DREAM Charter School and Harlem RBI), an innovative educational and youth development organization serving over 2,500 East Harlem and South Bronx youth by providing free, high-quality summer and after-school programs to youth ages 5-22 years in an intensive multi-year commitment that connects youth and families to age-appropriate programs and passionate professional staff over time.
DREAM Charter School, a rigorous, Pre-K-12th grade public charter network, is seeking dynamic and engaging educators to serve as Permanent Substitute Teachers. DREAM Charter School's mission is to prepare students for high-performing high schools, colleges and beyond through a rigorous academic program that develops critical thinkers who demonstrate a love of learning, strong character, and a commitment to wellness and active citizenship.
The Permanent Substitute teacher is a full-time employee who will remain on call to cover K-8 classes at DREAM’s schools in East Harlem and the Bronx while in-person school is in session. The Permanent Substitute will provide coverage for teachers across all subject areas using lessons provided by the lead teacher. If there is no coverage needed, they will provide support as needed at their school.
This is an excellent opportunity for aspiring educators to obtain hands-on teaching experience at DREAM’s high-performing schools, while receiving regular professional development and ongoing feedback and support to propel their growth.
Roles and Responsibilities
- Implement lesson plans provided by the lead teacher
- Build a warm and inclusive classroom environment where students can succeed
- Create and maintain strong relationships with students and families
- Actively participate in grade-level meetings, collaborative planning, and professional development
- Accept ultimate responsibility for the academic progress of their students, and work to actively overcome setbacks
- Perform additional duties, as assigned
- Bachelor’s degree required
- A desire to make a difference in the lives of our students, families and community
- A commitment to working with diverse populations of families and students, including those at risk of educational failure
- Flexibility and desire to support students across grade levels, as needed
- Experience working in schools and with students from underserved communities, preferred
- Must be able to work in-person at the school during the specified hours
- Bilingual (Spanish) preferred
- DREAM salary is highly competitive with the New York City Department of Education and other charter schools, and is based on experience and qualifications. All DREAM teachers receive a comprehensive benefits package, including health and dental insurance, a 403(b) retirement account, life insurance and access to social services through our Employee Assistance Program.
All Kids Can. This Kid Can.
DREAM is Family.
Fun is a Serious Value.
Teamwork Makes the DREAM Work.
Fail. Persist. Exceed.
DREAM provides equal opportunity for all applicants and employees.