[2020-2021] High School Social Worker
East Harlem- High School
DREAM Charter Schools
DREAM Charter School is a part of DREAM (formerly known as DREAM Charter School and Harlem RBI), an innovative educational and youth development organization serving over 2,500 East Harlem and South Bronx youth by providing free, high-quality summer and after-school programs to youth ages 5-22 years in an intensive multi-year commitment that connects youth and families to age-appropriate programs and passionate professional staff over time.
DREAM Charter School, a rigorous, K-11 public charter school in East Harlem is seeking a dynamic and innovative individual to serve as our High School Social Worker. This role will support the school in addressing the social, emotional and developmental needs of the school’s students and families, and in helping students access appropriate resources and services.
Like all DREAM employees, the High School Social Worker should demonstrate a strong commitment to the mission and values of DREAM Charter School and should have substantial expertise in all areas of responsibility.
Roles and Responsibilities:
- Provide mandated counseling services to students with IEPs;
- Provide “at risk” counseling services to individuals and groups of identified students;
- Work with students and their families to provide assessment, counseling, case management, and referrals (including mental health clinics, medical/psychiatric evaluations, protective services, etc.);
- Design curriculum and facilitate social work groups and workshops for students and caregivers;
- Provide crisis intervention – assess high risk situations and make immediate recommendations and referrals to ensure child safety, and follow-up for youth as needed;
- Collaborate with teachers and administrators on strategies to support both mandated and at-risk students;
- Design and deliver staff/volunteer/community trainings;
- Collaborate with teachers and administrators on school wide interventions such as stress, anxiety, conflict resolution, resilience, bullying, etc.;
- Maintain case records, monthly reports, IEP reports on SESIS, statistical and evaluation reports.
- Lead remediation and extension blocks, as well as advisory, and homeroom classes;
Student Achievement & Character Development:
- Embody the DREAM values and ensure that students exhibit the same values;
- Ensure all services are in compliance with mandates;
- Participate and represent caseload at all annual IEP review meetings including report writing and NYC DOE SESIS documentation;
- Support teachers in understanding each learners strengths and needs and supporting appropriate differentiated instruction;
- Support students and appropriate groups of students through intervention programming in accordance with DREAM’s Response to Intervention;
- Embrace and use school culture systems with all DREAM students.
- Master’s Degree in Social Work or Mental Health Counseling;
- New York State Licensed Clinical Social Worker (LCSW) or Licensed Master Social Worker (LMSW) or Licensed Mental Health Counselor (LCMH);
- Strong clinical skills and the ability and desire to work in a non-traditional setting;
- 3-5 years of previous school based counseling experience preferred;
- Experience facilitating groups;
- Experience and cultural competency in working with black and Latino teens and parents;
- Excellent oral and written communication skills;
- Bilingual (Spanish speaker) highly desired;
- Certified to provide Seminar in Field Instruction preferred:
- Experience as a clinical supervisor preferred:
- Must be able to work independently in a fast paced environment.
- Salary is competitive and commensurate with experience. All full-time employees receive an excellent benefits package including health and dental insurance, a 403B retirement account, life insurance, twenty days paid vacation per year and access to a full range of social services through our Employee Assistance Program.
DREAM provides equal opportunity for all applicants and employees.