[2020-2021] Founding Elementary Dean of School Culture
South Bronx- Elementary
DREAM Charter Schools
DREAM Charter School is a part of DREAM (formerly known as DREAM Charter School and Harlem RBI), an innovative educational and youth development organization serving over 2,500 East Harlem and South Bronx youth by providing free, high-quality summer and after-school programs to youth ages 5-22 years in an intensive multi-year commitment that connects youth and families to age-appropriate programs and passionate professional staff over time.
DREAM Mott Haven Elementary School, a growing K-1 public charter school in the South Bronx, is seeking a dynamic and engaging educator to serve as a Founding Dean of Culture for the 2020-2021 school year. DREAM's mission is to prepare students for high-performing high schools, colleges and beyond through a rigorous academic program that develops critical thinkers who demonstrate a love of learning, strong character, and a commitment to wellness and active citizenship.
The ideal candidate is a high energy, creative and inspiring educator with extensive experience coaching and leading adults, executing school wide systems and routines, and a talent for creating a warm but demanding learning environment for students. Like all DREAM employees, the Dean of Culture should demonstrate a strong commitment to the mission and values of DREAM Charter School and should have substantial expertise in all areas of responsibility.
Roles and Responsibilities
- Work closely with Founding Elementary School Principal to establish a positive and achievement-oriented culture which reflects DREAM’s core values;
- Develop, teach, and monitor all school wide systems, including consistent culture systems, incentives, and expectations for student conduct;
- Serve as an instructional coach for teachers and around classroom management, behavior systems, routines and procedures;
- Supervise and support the consistency and quality of behavior systems
- Supervise common social times including breakfast, lunch, recess, morning meeting, community gathering and dismissal;
- Foster open communications within the school community and effectively convey high expectations for student achievement and health;
- Understand and commit to the mission, goals, educational philosophy and activities of DREAM Mott Haven Charter School;
- Model and share the belief in the unlimited potential of all children and the sense of urgency to increase student achievement.
- Bachelor’s Degree, or higher degree in Education and/or School Administration;
- Minimum of three (3) years of teaching experience with a record of high student achievement and strong classroom culture;
- Willingness to be hands-on and do whatever it takes to develop and maintain an excellent school;
- Ability to think critically and maintain a detail-orientation when accomplishing all tasks;
- Exemplary interpersonal skills and an understanding of adult learning strategies to provide mentoring and coaching;
- Successful experience in building and maintaining strong, positive staff culture;
- Ability to use a variety of data sources to drive instruction;
- Knowledge and experience around social-emotional learning frameworks and instruction or experience with social work a plus.
- Bilingual (English/Spanish) a plus.
- DREAM salary is highly competitive and is based on experience and qualifications. All DREAM staff members receive a comprehensive benefits package, including health and dental insurance, a 403(b) retirement account, life insurance and access to social services through our Employee Assistance Program.
All kids can. this kid can.
DREAM is FAMILY.
fun is a serious value.
teamwork makes the dream work.
FAIL. PERSIST. EXCEED.
DREAM provides equal opportunity for all applicants and employees.