Chief Talent Officer
East Harlem- Network
DREAM (formerly known as DREAM Charter School and Harlem RBI), is an innovative educational and youth development organization, serving over 2,500 East Harlem and South Bronx youth by providing free, high-quality summer and after-school programs to youth ages 5-22 years in an intensive multi-year commitment that connects youth and families to age-appropriate programs and passionate professional staff over time.
DREAM is seeking a dynamic individual to serve as our Chief Talent Officer. Reporting to the Executive Director and playing a key role on the executive team, the ideal candidate is a strategic and development-minded talent leader who has a desire to make an impact within a growing organization. In addition to the core responsibility of attracting, developing, and retaining talented professionals, the individual will play a critical role in the development of DREAM's holistic growth strategy across existing and future sites, including East Harlem, the Bronx, and Newark. An ideal candidate would assume leadership of core organizational functions such as: recruitment and selection, professional development and training, workforce planning, talent operations and performance management.
Like all DREAM employees, the Chief Talent Officer should demonstrate a strong commitment to the mission and values of DREAM and should have substantial expertise in all areas of responsibility. Come join an organization that has been recognized as one of the “50 Best Non-Profits to Work For” by The Nonprofit Times and as the winner of the Nonprofit Excellence Award – Silver Prize for Overall Management Excellence by the Nonprofit Coordinating Committee of New York.
Recruitment and Selection
- Oversee DREAM’s director of recruitment and selection ensuring the recruitment and selection team has the resources, strategy, and information necessary to acquire talented and potential filled individuals for all roles in all parts of the organization;
- Support the recruitment and selection team in the development of critical talent marketing and selection practices that work in the organization’s current state and as it grows;
- Work cross-functionally to ensure that the recruitment and selection team has the information, employee analytics, and collaborative systems in place to reach its interdependent operational and strategic goals that require the efforts of multiple teams within the organization;
- Serve as the ultimate recruiter for the organization, building connections and tapping into a variety of networks in order to build a pipeline of high potential candidates;
- Influence other staff members to refer candidates, conduct informational interviews, and always be thinking about recruiting talent to the organization.
Professional Development and Training
- Oversee DREAM’s director of professional development and training ensuring that their team has the resources, strategy, and information necessary to develop a best-in-class professional development program that meets the needs of staff at various levels of proficiency and is centered around improving outcomes for children;
- Support the team with design and implementation of ongoing management training and support including internal and external professional development, coaching and compliance-based training for DREAM in both its current state and as it grows;
- Ensure that the professional development team has the information and collaborative relationships in place to reach its shared operational and strategic goals that require cross-functional systems and initiatives;
- Serve as a model for coaching and professional development, stay abreast of emerging best practices in this professional development, and support organizational leaders with the development of their training and facilitative skills;
- Plan and conduct trainings internally as needed and use professional development externally to attract talented professionals and partners to our organization.
Talent Operations and Performance Management
- Oversee DREAM’s director of talent operations ensuring the talent operations team has the resources, strategy, and information necessary to ensure integrated systems and operations across the talent team that support both talent operations and performance management;
- Support the talent operations team in with integrating operations for talent across the team and with internal partners with a goal of ensuring the employee life-cycle is geared towards employee engagement and success;
- Support the talent operations team in leading collaborative efforts to optimize performance management practices and systems, and to build and enhance people and performance-based analytics;
- Ensure that the talent operations team has the information and collaborative systems in place to reach its interdependent operational and strategic goals that require the efforts of multiple teams within the organization;
- Oversee and eventually handle sensitive personnel issues related to performance management and progressive discipline related to performance including serving as a point of contact with DREAM’s external counsel when needed;
- Serve as the “face” and role model of the organizations performance management systems including leading practices that broadly develop talent such as talent reviews and 360 degree reviews.
- Collaborate with the talent leadership team and teams across the organization (including senior management and the business strategy team) to conduct workforce planning that ensures DREAM has long-term plans for future roles, the skills required for each position, and appropriate strategies to fill positions;
- Work strategically across teams to implement and support efforts focused on retention and succession planning;
- Be at the table for conversations and decisions in the annual budgetary process around the staffing and hiring plan for each upcoming year;
- Collaborate with senior leaders to establish career pathways within the organization and provide level definitions for each team so that all staff members have a sense of their potential to grow within the organization;
- Ensure that leadership designs its future organizational structure and maintains or makes revisions to it so that clarity in roles and reporting responsibilities is maintained.
General Leadership Responsibilities
- Lead and develop the Talent team, ensuring a regular data cycle and constant improvement including championing the needs of the talent team with organizational leadership;
- Develop a vision and plan for the growth of the Talent team itself over the next few years to serve DREAM at scale;
- Support the CEO’s own talent work and serve as a peer coach to other executive team members;
- Continue shifting the org culture from Talent as an activity to an organizational capacity builder;
- As a member of DREAM’s executive team, serve as a liaison with the board and other external stakeholders as necessary. Represent DREAM externally as both an ambassador of DREAM’s mission and brand but also as a talent leader in the education and youth development field;
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s Degree required; Master's Degree in a related field preferred;
- A proven track record of success as a non-profit leader in the areas of responsibility for the role, experience with school environments a plus;
- Minimum of 10 years experience as a Talent Management or not for profit leader with meaningful executive experience;
- Exemplary management, supervision and coaching skills with experience leading medium to large teams;
- Exemplary strategic management skills including planning, directing, building, project managing;
- Outstanding emotional intelligence, communication, influencing and negotiating skills;
- Deep embodiment of organizational values;
- Demonstrated understanding of the unique needs of under-served or at-risk youth populations.
Salary is competitive and commensurate with experience. All full-time employees receive an excellent benefits package including health and dental insurance, a 403B retirement account, life insurance, twenty days paid vacation per year and access to a full range of social services through our Employee Assistance Program.
DREAM provides equal opportunity for all applicants and employees.