Academic Dean (High School)
East Harlem- High School /
DREAM Charter Schools /
DREAM Charter School is a part of DREAM (formerly known as DREAM Charter School and Harlem RBI), an innovative educational and youth development organization serving over 2,500 East Harlem and South Bronx youth by providing free, high-quality summer and after-school programs to youth ages 5-22 years in an intensive multi-year commitment that connects youth and families to age-appropriate programs and passionate professional staff over time.
DREAM Charter High School, a rigorous, public charter school in East Harlem, is seeking a dynamic leader to serve as an Academic Dean. Our High School prepares students for college and beyond by developing critical skills needed for their success as professionals and as agents of social change. In 2021 DREAM will celebrate the first-ever graduating class of seniors. Join our growing team and be a part of this momentous occasion!
The Academic Dean will be a member of the school leadership team and will be responsible for providing coaching and professional development support to all teachers in core content areas. This individual is also responsible for ensuring curriculum alignment to national standards and that student achievement data is analyzed and used on a daily basis to inform instruction. The ideal candidate is highly knowledgeable in core content areas with a proven ability to create highly effective instructional curriculum, to coach and motivate peers and to inspire outstanding performance in students.
Like all DREAM employees, the Academic Dean should demonstrate a strong commitment to the mission and values of DREAM Charter School and should have substantial expertise in all areas of responsibility.
Roles and Responsibilities:
- Serve as primary instructional coach for teachers and specialists;
- Collaborate with Principal, School Culture staff, and specialists to provide teachers with high quality professional development and curriculum implementation guidance to meet the needs of all learners;
- Provide coaching and support around classroom and school culture
- Contribute to the development of a rigorous, college preparatory curriculum including a vertical scope and sequence aligned to national standards, through creation of assessments, unit plans, and lesson plans as needed;
- Facilitate the implementation of the adopted curriculum by:
- Providing on-going professional development based on the needs of the school through data analysis and teacher’s identified areas of need;
- Observing and collaborating with teachers to plan lessons using scientifically based researched instructional strategies;
- Modeling best teaching methods and strategies based on the latest research and data in all disciplines;
- Work closely with classroom teachers and school leadership to plan instruction, analyze student work, and ensure continuity between classroom and intervention work for students with special needs;
- Regularly review lesson plans, observe teachers in classroom and provide teachers with timely, reflective and actionable feedback;
- Lead in the utilization of student performance data to customize and improve instruction;
- Model and share the belief in the unlimited potential of all children and the sense of urgency to increase student achievement;
- Assist in the coordination of internal and state assessments;
- With the Principal, establish performance goals for/with instructional stall and manage teacher performance evaluations;
- Create a culture of sharing of effective practices amongst instructional staff by facilitating cross-class observations and co-planning sessions;
- Collaborate with the Principal to develop a plan of action for the year, including, but not limited to: long-term goal setting, identification of major growth areas and steps for improvement, establishing methods for effective communication, long-term plan for supporting and developing teachers.
- Master’s Degree in Education or School Administration preferred;
- Minimum of three (3) years of high school teaching experience with a record of high student achievement;
- Extensive knowledge of best practices in classroom management and instructional strategies;
- Exemplary interpersonal skills and an understanding of adult learning strategies to provide mentoring and coaching;
- Successful experience in providing staff development in a large group, small group and one-on-one settings;
- Ability to use a variety of data sources to drive instruction;
- Bilingual (English/Spanish) a plus.
- DREAM salary is highly competitive and is based on experience and qualifications. All DREAM staff members receive a comprehensive benefits package, including health and dental insurance, a 403(b) retirement account, life insurance and access to social services through our Employee Assistance Program.
All Kids Can. This Kid Can.
DREAM is Family.
Fun is a Serious Value.
Teamwork Makes the DREAM Work.
Fail. Persist. Exceed.
DREAM provides equal opportunity for all applicants and employees.