Mott Haven (K-1st) Recess Coach and After School Youth Worker
South Bronx- OST /
Out of School Time /
Part-Time and Seasonal
DREAM (formerly known as DREAM Charter School and Harlem RBI), is an innovative educational and youth development organization, serving over 2,500 East Harlem and South Bronx youth by providing free, high-quality summer and after-school programs to youth ages 5-22 years in an intensive multi-year commitment that connects youth and families to age-appropriate programs and passionate professional staff over time.
The Elementary Recess Coach and After-School Youth Worker will supervise students during school lunch hours, overseeing and facilitating all recess activities. When DREAM is running in-person after-school programs, the Recess Coach and After-School Youth Worker will also support after-school programming, leading all enrichment activities during that time.
You will have the opportunity to participate in professional development training, in addition to receiving regular feedback and support. This is an excellent opportunity for someone looking to build youth development skills while working with a passionate and supportive team.
Recess Coach Roles and responsibilities
- Oversee a group of up to 18-20 youth during their recess time;
- Collaborate with team to facilitate various outdoor activities;
- Model and encourage positive participation in recess activities;
- Model professionalism through consistent attendance, timeliness and preparation;
- Supervise and manage youth behavior at all times using positive youth development strategies;
- Implement all health and safety protocols as required;
After-School Roles and responsibilities
- Lead a group of up to 18-20 youth in after-school activities including sports, social-emotional learning, enrichment and academic support;
- Facilitate or co-facilitate lessons to help youth build their social and emotional skills;
- Collaborate with team to facilitate various enrichment activities, such as yoga, dance, music, or sports;
- Support with homework completion and other academic enrichmentImplement all health and safety protocols as required.
- High school diploma or equivalent required;Experience working successfully with groups of school-age children in a classroom or other youth development setting, strongly preferred;
- Experience with behavior management, including positive youth development, preferred;
- Exhibits warmth, enthusiasm and patience in working with youth;
- Ability to work collaboratively within a team setting;
- Ability to quickly problem-solve in the moment;
- Ability to communicate effectively with families;
- Comfort with technology and ability to use common platforms, including Zoom and Google Suite (Gmail and Gchat);
- Eagerness to grow professionally, including openness to receiving and implementing feedback;
- Flexibility: willing and able to shift tasks and priorities as needed;
- Belief in the mission and outcomes of DREAM, including the importance of social emotional competency and advocacy for self and others;
- Ability to work during the program hours, including after-school programming;
- Must be able to work in person.
- Recess programming hours: Days & Hours: Monday - Friday: 10 AM - 3:15 PM
- After-school programming hour: Days & Hours: Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Friday: 3:15 PM - 5:45 PM
- Dream Charter School
- Mott Haven Elementary School (411 Wales Avenue, The Bronx)
- October – June
- Start date: ASAP
All Kids Can. This Kid Can.
DREAM is Family.
Fun is a Serious Value.
Teamwork Makes the DREAM Work.
Fail. Persist. Exceed.
DREAM provides equal opportunity for all applicants and employees.