[Summer 2020] Youth Worker
East Harlem- OST
Out of School Time
Part-Time and Seasonal
DREAM (formerly known as DREAM Charter School and Harlem RBI), is an innovative educational and youth development organization, serving over 2,500 East Harlem and South Bronx youth by providing free, high-quality summer and after-school programs to youth ages 5-22 years in an intensive multi-year commitment that connects youth and families to age-appropriate programs and passionate professional staff over time.
Role & Responsibilities
- Collaborating with co-leaders to facilitate lesson plans that focus on helping youth build social-emotional skills in areas such as teamwork, conflict resolution and self-esteem;
- Support Reading Teacher, helping to implement daily reading activities in an innovative literacy program intended to improve reading skills and enthusiasm for reading;
- Coaching and organizing baseball/softball teams for teams of elementary school-aged participants;Leading recreational activities and chaperoning off-site enrichment field trips;
- Supervising and managing team and individual behavior at all times using positive discipline techniques and proactive interventions to ensure the physical and emotional safety of all youth;
- Participating in training, professional development and daily staff meetings.
- Must be at least 18 years of age;
- Minimum of 1 year working with and having a record of success with groups of school-age children in a classroom or other youth development setting
- Knowledge of baseball/softball is preferred but not required;
- Passion to work in a team environment and meet high expectations for youth and staff;
- Ability to take initiative while maintaining confidence, flexibility and enthusiasm;
- Deep embodiment of DREAM’s Maxims.
The summer season commitment is from June 22nd-August 14th. Hours are Monday – Thursday from 8:00am-5:15pm and Friday from 8:00am-3:15pm.
Summer Day Camp Group Leaders earn an hourly wage starting at $16/hour.
Positions are available in East Harlem and the South Bronx.
DREAM provides equal opportunity for all applicants and employees.