[2020-2021] High School Youth Development Specialist
East Harlem- High School
DREAM Charter Schools
DREAM Charter School is a part of DREAM (formerly known as DREAM Charter School and Harlem RBI), an innovative educational and youth development organization serving over 2,500 East Harlem and South Bronx youth by providing free, high-quality summer and after-school programs to youth ages 5-22 years in an intensive multi-year commitment that connects youth and families to age-appropriate programs and passionate professional staff over time.
DREAM Charter School, a rigorous, Pre-K-11 public charter school in East Harlem is seeking dynamic individuals to serve as a High School Youth Development Specialist. Reporting to the High School Program Manager, the ideal candidate is a reliable team player with a commitment to youth development. They will play a key role in piloting DREAM’s extended day school model by driving 9th or 10th grade growth in social and emotional competence, academic achievement, and physical literacy outcomes.
Like all DREAM employees, the High School Youth Development Specialists should demonstrate a strong commitment to the mission and values of DREAM and DREAM Charter School and should have substantial expertise in all areas of responsibility.
Roles & Responsibilities
- Youth Development Specialists will adapt and implement a new curriculum designed to orient students to the skills, competencies, and attitudes required to be successful in high school including grading practices, study skills, and goal setting;
- Co-facilitate a seminar experience that allows students to reflect on, assess, and present on their academic progress, social emotional growth, and extracurricular experiences;
- Adapt and utilize assessments that will successfully measure progress towards goals.
- Case Management:
- Mentor a caseload of approximately 50 students through regular one-on-one meetings, family conferences and family outreach;
- Collaborate with staff to craft a set of academic, extracurricular, and social/emotional milestones for youth, and support youth’s work towards these goals;
- Collaborate with staff to ensure all students on caseload participate in at least one extracurricular activity during the school year and one summer experience.
- Extracurricular Responsibilities:
- Serve as liaison between an external enrichment provider, DREAM, youth participants and families to assist with logistics, participation, policies and procedures.
- Culture Responsibilities:
- Work with staff to analyze academic and culture data, revise practices, norm on team-wide initiatives, and discuss individual youth with a solutions-oriented mindset;
- Regularly communicate youth’s progress towards milestones with families.
- One year of youth development experience with high school aged youth strongly preferred;
- Bachelors degree preferred;
- Strong group facilitation skills and ability to manage behaviors using positive youth development principles, experience with restorative justice practices preferred;
- Demonstrated ability to build relationships and interact with youth in a way that develops socio-emotional competencies;
- Demonstrated ability to modify content to meet the needs of a variety of learners;
- Exceptional planning skills, high attention to detail, and a skilled problem solver;
- Understanding of opportunities and challenges in the lives and education of urban youth;
- Ability to create positive working relationships with a variety of stakeholders, including youth, families, school staff and partner organizations.
- A desire to make a different in the lives of our students, families, and community;
- Deep embodiment of DREAM’s organizational values of teamwork, diversity, integrity, and fun.
Typical hours are 10am-6pm M-F, hours vary seasonally depending on afterschool and summer programming, with occasional evenings and weekends, as needed.
Salary is highly competitive and commensurate with experience. All full-time employees receive an excellent benefits package including health and dental insurance, a 403(B) retirement account, life insurance, twenty days paid vacation per year and access to a full range of social services through our Employee Assistance Program.
DREAM provides equal opportunity for all applicants and employees.