[2020-2021] Middle School Social Studies Teacher
East Harlem: PK-8
DREAM Charter Schools
DREAM Charter School is a part of DREAM (formerly known as DREAM Charter School and Harlem RBI), an innovative educational and youth development organization serving over 2,500 East Harlem and South Bronx youth by providing free, high-quality summer and after-school programs to youth ages 5-22 years in an intensive multi-year commitment that connects youth and families to age-appropriate programs and passionate professional staff over time.
DREAM Charter School is seeking a dynamic and engaging educator to serve as a Middle School Social Studies Teacher. DREAM Charter School's mission is to prepare students for high-performing high schools, colleges and beyond through a rigorous academic program that develops critical thinkers who demonstrate a love of learning, strong character, and a commitment to wellness and active citizenship. Like all DREAM employees, the Middle School Social Studies Teacher should demonstrate a strong commitment to the mission and values of DREAM and DREAM Charter School and should have substantial expertise in all areas of responsibility.
Roles and Responsibilities:
- Teaching and Planning
- Implement a rigorous common core aligned curriculum through backwards planning
- Assume responsibility for academic progress within classroom and beyond
- Abide by school-wide protocols for documenting all syllabi, lesson plans, assignments, rubrics, etc.
- Collect and analyze assessment data and daily data to best inform instruction
- Lead remediation and extension blocks, as well as advisory, and homeroom classes
- Revise curriculum and teaching methods based on measurable data and observation feedback.
- Management Responsibilities
- Set and maintain high expectations for 100% of the scholars, 100% of the time
- Work with Student Support Team to create individual behavior plans for select students
- Abide by school-wide practices for behavior management and individual behavior plans
- Take ownership over the classroom management with the mentality of "How can I improve my implementation of our systems, while always assuming the best in my scholars"
- School Culture Responsibilities
- Work with Middle School team to analyze data, revise practices, norm on team-wide initiatives, and discuss individual scholars with a solutions-oriented mindset
- Create systems for students for that exhibit exceptional effort and growth, both academically and behaviorally
- Regularly communicate scholars progress towards goals with families
- Attend and be an active participant in all professional development (school-wide or team-based) opportunities
- Take part in weekly one-on-one feedback meetings with coach to discuss observation feedback, practice pedagogical strategies, analyze data and/or refine curriculum.
- Bachelor's degree required
- Master's degree or higher preferred
- Appropriate New York State certification required
- At least two years of teaching experience strongly preferred
- A desire to make a difference in the lives of our students, families and community
- A commitment to working with diverse populations of families and students, including those at risk of educational failure
- Bilingual (Spanish) preferred.
- DREAM salary is highly competitive with the New York City Department of Education and other charter schools, and is based on experience and qualifications.
- All DREAM teachers receive a comprehensive benefits package, including health and dental insurance, a 403(b) retirement account, life insurance and access to social services through our Employee Assistance Program.
All Kids Can. This Kid Can.
DREAM is Family.
Fun is a Serious Value.
Teamwork Makes the DREAM Work.
Fail. Persist. Exceed.
DREAM provides equal opportunity for all applicants and employees.