[Immediate Hire] Elementary School Teacher
East Harlem /
DREAM Charter Schools – East Harlem Elementary /
DREAM (formerly known as DREAM Charter School and Harlem RBI), is an innovative educational and youth development organization, serving over 2,500 East Harlem and South Bronx youth by providing free, high-quality summer and after-school programs to youth ages 5-22 years in an intensive multi-year commitment that connects youth and families to age-appropriate programs and passionate professional staff over time.
DREAM Charter School, a rigorous, PreK-12 public charter school in East Harlem, is seeking a dynamic and engaging educator to serve as Elementary Teacher. DREAM Charter School's mission is to prepare students for high-performing high schools, colleges, and beyond through a rigorous academic program that develops critical thinkers who demonstrate a love of learning, strong character, and a commitment to wellness and active citizenship.
Like all DREAM employees, the Elementary School Teacher should demonstrate a strong commitment to the mission and values of DREAM and DREAM Charter School and should have substantial expertise in all areas of responsibility.
Roles and Responsibilities:
- Teaching and Planning
- Implement a common core aligned curriculum through backward planning;
- Track, monitor, and measure academic progress of students;
- Work with co-teacher to create and foster a culture where all students can achieve;
- Assume responsibility for academic progress within classroom;
- Abide by school-wide protocols for documenting all syllabi, lesson plans, assignments, rubrics, etc.;
- Analyze assessment data and daily data including exit ticket and Do Now to best inform instruction;
- Revise curriculum and teaching methods based on measurable data.
- Management Responsibilities
- Set and maintain high expectations by building meaningful relationships with 100% of scholars, 100% of the time (including tracking, vertical hand-raising, and sitting up at all times);
- Work with Student Support Team to create individual behavior plans for select students;
- Abide by school-wide practices for behavior management and individual behavior plans;
- Take ownership over the classroom management with the mentality of “How can I improve my implementation of our systems, while always assuming the best in my scholars?”
- School Culture Responsibilities
- Work with your grade team to analyze data, revise practices, norm on team-wide initiatives, and discuss individual scholars with a solutions-oriented mindset;
- Create systems for exceptional effort and growth, both academically and behaviorally;
- Establish and maintain strong relationships and regularly communicate scholars’ progress towards goals and with families;
- Attend and be an active participant in all professional development (school-wide or team-based) opportunities;
- Take part in weekly one-on-one feedback meetings with Academic Dean to discuss observation feedback, role-play pedagogical strategies, analyze data and/or refine curriculum map.
- Bachelor’s degree required;
- Master’s degree or higher preferred;
- Appropriate New York State certification in subject area preferred;
- At least three years of teaching experience strongly preferred;
- A desire to make a difference in the lives of our students, families and community;
- A commitment to working with diverse populations of families and students, including those at risk of educational failure;
- Bilingual (Spanish) preferred.
- DREAM salary is highly competitive with the New York City Department of Education and other charter schools, and is based on experience and qualifications. All DREAM teachers receive a comprehensive benefits package, including health and dental insurance, a 403(b) retirement account, life insurance and access to social services through our Employee Assistance Program.
All Kids Can. This Kid Can.
DREAM is Family.
Fun is a Serious Value.
Teamwork Makes the DREAM Work.
Fail. Persist. Exceed.
DREAM provides equal opportunity for all applicants and employees.