[2020-2021] High School Math Teacher
East Harlem- High School
DREAM Charter Schools
DREAM Charter School is a part of DREAM (formerly known as DREAM Charter School and Harlem RBI), an innovative educational and youth development organization serving over 2,500 East Harlem and South Bronx youth by providing free, high-quality summer and after-school programs to youth ages 5-22 years in an intensive multi-year commitment that connects youth and families to age-appropriate programs and passionate professional staff over time.
DREAM Charter High School, a rigorous, public charter school in East Harlem, is seeking a dynamic and engaging educator to serve as a High School Grade Math Teacher. DREAM Charter High School prepares students for college and beyond by developing critical skills needed for their success as professionals and as agents of social change. In 2021 DREAM will celebrate the first-ever graduating class of seniors. Join our growing team and be a part of this momentous occasion!
Roles and Responsibilities:
- Teaching and Planning
- Adapt and implement a new common core aligned curriculum through backwards planning;
- Create assessments that will successfully measure academic progress;Assume responsibility for academic progress within classroom;
- Abide by school-wide protocols for documenting all syllabi, lesson plans, assignments, rubrics, etc.;
- Analyze assessment data and daily data including exit ticket and Do Now to best inform instruction;
- Lead remediation and extension blocks, as well as advisory, and homeroom classes;
- Revise curriculum and teaching methods based on measurable data.
- Management Responsibilities
- Set and maintain high expectations for 100% of the scholars, 100% of the time (including culture of professionalism, vertical hand-raising, and sitting up at all times);
- Work with Student Support team to create individual behavior plans for select students;
- Abide by school-wide practices for behavior management and individual behavior plans;
- Take ownership over the classroom management with the mentality of “How can I improve my implementation of our systems, while always assuming the best in my scholars?”
- School Culture Responsibilities
- Work with Founding High School team to analyze data, revise practices, norm on team-wide initiatives, and discuss individual scholars with a solutions-oriented mindset;
- Create systems students for exceptional effort and growth, both academically and behaviorally;
- Regularly communicate scholars’ progress towards goals with families;
- Attend and be an active participant in all professional development (school-wide or team-based) opportunities;
- Take part in weekly one-on-one feedback meetings with Academic Dean to discuss observation feedback, role-play pedagogical strategies, analyze data and/or refine curriculum map.
- Bachelor’s degree required;
- Master’s degree or higher preferred;
- Appropriate New York State certification in Math required;
- At least two years of Math teaching experience strongly preferred;A desire to make a difference in the lives of our students, families and community;
- A commitment to working with diverse populations of families and students, including those at risk of educational failure;
- Bilingual (Spanish) preferred.
- DREAM salary is highly competitive with the New York City Department of Education and other charter schools, and is based on experience and qualifications. All DREAM teachers receive a comprehensive benefits package, including health and dental insurance, a 403(b) retirement account, life insurance and access to social services through our Employee Assistance Program.
DREAM provides equal opportunity for all applicants and employees.