[Immediate Hire] Early Childhood (Centers) Specialist
Out of School Time
Part-Time and Seasonal
DREAM (formerly known as DREAM Charter School and Harlem RBI), is an innovative educational and youth development organization, serving over 2,500 East Harlem and South Bronx youth by providing free, high-quality summer and after-school programs to youth ages 5-22 years in an intensive multi-year commitment that connects youth and families to age-appropriate programs and passionate professional staff over time.
DREAM is seeking a dynamic individuals to serve as Early Childhood (Centers) Specialists both individuals and contractors, to work in our nationally recognized elementary enrichment program.
REAL Kids programming offers a supportive teaching environment that fosters creativity and innovation. Early Childhood (Centers) Specialists plan, create, organize, and oversee the implementation of Center-based activities in 3 K/1 groups daily. Each group will rotate through 3 centers daily. Centers should be fun with an academic learning goal in the following areas: 1 center per day should be literacy-focused, 1 center per day should have a social-emotional focus, and the third center can be focused on any academic goal. Candidates must also understand and value DREAM’s comprehensive approach to youth development and inspire, lead, and motivate DREAM staff to drive outcomes that support youth in recognizing their potential and realizing their dreams.
Like all DREAM employees Early Childhood (Centers) Specialists should demonstrate a strong commitment to the mission and values of DREAM and should have substantial expertise in all areas of responsibility. Come join an organization that has been recognized as one of the “50 Best Non-Profits to Work For” by The Nonprofit Times and as the winner of the Nonprofit Excellence Award – Silver Prize for Overall Management Excellence by the Nonprofit Coordinating Committee of New York.
Roles and Responsibilities:
- Design and deliver curricula for K/1 developmentally appropriate centers that reinforce literacy skills and social emotional skills and are aligned to the DREAM values including respect, effort and teamwork;
- Create a system to retain, reuse, and refresh centers including a curriculum index and materials list;
- Prepare all materials before activities begin and facilitate a thorough clean up afterwards;
- Encourage youth to positively participate in activities;
- Serve as a role model while demonstrating professional behavior;
- Ensure the safety of youth during activities;
- NOTE: Centers Activities that require materials/resources will be given a conservative budget on an as-needed basis.
- Must be at least 18 years of age;
- High school diploma required & Bachelor’s degree/certification in related field preferred;
- Minimum 2 years experience working with groups of youth;
- Clear passion for and detailed knowledge of specialty area;
- Understanding of effective youth development strategies and conflict resolution;
- Exemplary social, organizational, verbal and written communication skills;
- Dedication to the program and ability to collaborate with colleagues to ensure a positive, productive youth experience.
- The REAL Kids after-school program operates from late September to early June.
- After-school hours typically follow the Department of Education calendar, up to Monday –Thursday from 2:30pm to 5:30pm and vary depending on site location. Multiple schedules available.
- Hourly and commensurate with experience.
DREAM provides equal opportunity for all applicants and employees.