After-school Youth Worker (Pre-K - 8th)
East Harlem- OST /
Out of School Time /
Part-Time and Seasonal
DREAM (formerly known as DREAM Charter School and Harlem RBI), is an innovative educational and youth development organization, serving over 2,500 East Harlem and South Bronx youth by providing free, high-quality summer and after-school programs to youth ages 5-22 years in an intensive multi-year commitment that connects youth and families to age-appropriate programs and passionate professional staff over time.
The After-School Youth Worker will lead all in-person after-school activities, including sports, social-emotional learning, enrichment, and academic support programming.
Additionally, After-School Youth Workers will have the opportunity to participate in professional development training, in addition to receiving regular feedback and support. This is an excellent opportunity to build your youth development skills while working with a passionate and supportive team.
Roles and Responsibilities
- Lead a group of up to 18-20 youth in daily after-school activities including sports, social-emotional learning, enrichment and academic support;
- Facilitate or co-facilitate lessons to help youth build their social and emotional skills;
- Collaborate with team to plan & facilitate various enrichment activities;
- Support with homework completion and other academic enrichment;
- Model and encourage positive participation in all daily activities, with a focus on teambuilding;
- Model professionalism through consistent attendance, timeliness and preparation;
- Supervise and manage youth behavior at all times using positive youth development strategies;
- Participate in weekly professional development and tactical trainings in addition to formal feedback and coaching;
- Implement all health and safety protocols as required.
- High school diploma or equivalent required;
- Experience working successfully with groups of school-age children in a classroom or other youth development setting, strongly preferred;
- Experience with behavior management, including positive youth development, preferred;
- Exhibits warmth, enthusiasm and patience in working with youth;
- Ability to work collaboratively within a team setting;
- Ability to quickly problem-solve in the moment;
- Ability to communicate effectively with families;
- Comfort with technology and ability to use common platforms, including Zoom and Google Suite (Gmail and Gchat);
- Eagerness to grow professionally, including openness to receiving and implementing feedback;
- Flexibility: willing and able to shift tasks and priorities as needed;
- Belief in the mission and outcomes of DREAM, including the importance of social emotional competency and advocacy for self and others;
- Ability to work during the program hours, including after-school programming
- Must be able to work in person.
Program Location & Hours
- Department of Education schools
- PS 146
- PS 18
- Tentative Days & Hours: Monday - Friday, 1:30 PM - 5:45 PM
- Dream Charter Schools
- East Harlem Elementary School (1991 2nd Ave)
- East Harlem Middle School (1991 2nd Ave)
- Mott Haven Elementary School (411 Wales Avenue, The Bronx)
- Tentative Days & Hours: Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, and Friday, 2:30 PM - 5:45 PM
Schedules are approximate and subject to change
- September - June
- Start date: ASAP
All Kids Can. This Kid Can.
DREAM is Family.
Fun is a Serious Value.
Teamwork Makes the DREAM Work.
Fail. Persist. Exceed.
DREAM provides equal opportunity for all applicants and employees.