[Spring 2024] Middle School Assistant Softball Coach
New York, NY: Mott Haven Middle School
Seasonal Program Positions – Athletics /
Part-Time and Seasonal
Originally founded in 1991 as Harlem RBI, DREAM has grown to annually serve more than 2,500 youth across East Harlem and the South Bronx through a network of six PreK-12, extended-day, extended-year DREAM Charter Schools and community sports-based youth development programs. Through our commitment to rigorous academics, social-emotional learning, deep family and community engagement, and health and wellness, we create lifelong learners who are equipped to fulfill their vision of success in and out of the classroom. We dream big, as well, with an aggressive five-year plan to expand to serve 3,500 students across seven schools—growing our organization’s impact and leveling the playing field for all children. To learn more, visit wearedream.org.
Our award winning sports-based youth development program is seeking a dynamic individual to serve as our Softball Assistant Coach for our middle school team, which competes as part of the Charter School Athletic League. This role reports to the Middle School OST and Athletics Director. The ideal candidate has experience coaching middle school-aged students, and has an understanding of Softball as a player and coach.
Coaches are key members of the Athletics team and ensure the continued excellence, growth and sustainability of DREAM’s Athletics programs.
- Support the facilitation of 1-3 practices per week;
- Support with logistics around athlete arrival and departure;
- Support with driving engagement and recruitment of athletes onto the team;
- Manage roster and support with game strategy on game day;
- Supervise and manage team and individual behavior at all times using positive discipline techniques and proactive interventions to ensure the physical and emotional safety of all scholars;
- Ensure that youth are physically safe around the supervision and transportation (when necessary);
- Follow all safety protocols put in place by the organization;
- Make sure attendance is taken at all practices and games;
- Model sports-like behavior and maintain appropriate conduct towards players, umpires, and spectators;
- Model and encourage positive youth behaviors and promote DREAM’s mission, values and organizational policies to all staff, participants and stakeholders;
- Other duties as required.
- An understanding of the sport’s rules and regulations required;
- Experience working with school-age children required;
- Ability to uphold, promote, and model sport-based youth development principles;
- 2+ years of assistant coaching experience preferred;
- Previous experience playing this sport competitively at the high school and/or college level preferred;
- CPR/First Aid certification, a plus;
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, organization skills and attention to detail;
- A strong belief in the mission and values of DREAM, including the belief that all students can succeed, and a deep desire to make a difference in the lives of our students, families, and community.
- March 11 - June 30, 2024 (exact end date may be sooner and will depend on team progress in the league)
- Late afternoon/early evening weekday practices 2-3 times per week
- Evening and weekend games
- *Please note: although this may change, we are currently only hiring for our Mott Haven Middle School.
- DREAM is hiring coaches for our East Harlem and Mott Haven Middle Schools.
- East Harlem: 1991 2nd Avenue, New York, NY
- Mott Haven: 20 Bruckner Boulevard, Bronx, NY
- Practices take place at the school, or in surrounding areas in East Harlem or the South Bronx.
- Game locations vary
- DREAM offers competitive compensation. The hourly rate for this position is $20.
OUR COMMITMENT TO DIVERSITY, EQUITY, AND INCLUSION
At DREAM, diversity, equity, and inclusion are a matter of mission.
From our schools to our playing fields, DREAM is committed to building a team where each individual can bring their full identity and experience to work because representation matters—it enriches our team culture, enhances our ability to innovate, and strengthens our impact in and out of the classroom. DREAM engages staff that represent and appreciate the diversity of our majority Black and Hispanic student body, while working to ensure that our practices are equitable, welcoming, and productive. We are dedicated to creating a world where youth, especially youth of color, have permission to dream—along with the tools and opportunities to make their dreams reality.
Come dream with us.
All Kids Can. This Kid Can.
DREAM is Family.
Fun is a Serious Value.
Teamwork Makes the DREAM Work.
Fail. Persist. Exceed.