[2020-2021] Elementary School Youth Development Specialist
East Harlem: PK-8
DREAM Charter Schools
DREAM Charter School is a part of DREAM (formerly known as DREAM Charter School and Harlem RBI), an innovative educational and youth development organization serving over 2,500 East Harlem and South Bronx youth by providing free, high-quality summer and after-school programs to youth ages 5-22 years in an intensive multi-year commitment that connects youth and families to age-appropriate programs and passionate professional staff over time.
DREAM Charter School, a rigorous, Pre-K-9 public charter school in East Harlem is seeking a dynamic individual to serve as the Elementary School Youth Development Specialist. Reporting to the Elementary School Program Manager, the ideal candidate is a reliable team player with a commitment to youth development. They will play a key role in piloting DREAM’s extended day school model by driving growth in social and emotional competence, ELA and math achievement, and physical literacy outcomes.
Like all DREAM employees, the Middle School Youth Development Specialist should demonstrate a strong commitment to the mission and values of DREAM and DREAM Charter School and should have substantial expertise in all areas of responsibility.
Role and Responsibilities:
- Design and facilitate after-school programming, such as coaching a sport or leading a track, and provide academic and behavioral support;
- Facilitate academic and social emotional learning blocks including homeroom, and small group instruction;
- Serve as a Response to Intervention case manager and lead academic and SEL interventions;
- Lead Friday Enrichment during after school;
- Support individualized behavior management;
- Plan and chaperone trips and hands-on learning experiences;
- Support in upholding and driving DREAM culture through behavior management systems and driving standards for academic and social emotional mindsets and behaviors;
- Drive collection and analysis of data related to pilot success and create a series of benchmarks to measure this success;
- Work with youth in positive and creative ways that encourage good sportsmanship and teamwork.
- One year of youth development experience required;Bachelors degree preferred;
- Strong group facilitation skills and ability to manage behaviors using positive youth development principles, experience with restorative justice practices preferred;
- Knowledge and experience around social emotional learning frameworks and instruction;Experience providing academic supports for adolescents;
- Experience collecting and implementing data-driven practices;
- Excellent organizational, problem-solving skills, project management skills, and strong attention to detail;
- Understanding of opportunities and challenges in the lives and education of urban youth;
- A desire to make a difference in the lives of our students, families, and community;
- Deep embodiment of DREAM’s organizational values of teamwork, diversity, integrity, and fun.
- Typical hours are 10 am-6 pm or 8 am - 4 pm M-F, hours vary seasonally depending on after-school and summer programming, with occasional evenings and weekends, as needed.
- Salary is highly competitive and commensurate with experience. All full-time employees receive an excellent benefits package including health and dental insurance, a 403(B) retirement account, life insurance, twenty days paid vacation per year and access to a full range of social services through our Employee Assistance Program.
DREAM provides equal opportunity for all applicants and employees.