[2020-2021] Founding Art Teacher
South Bronx- Elementary
DREAM Charter Schools
DREAM Charter School is a part of DREAM (formerly known as DREAM Charter School and Harlem RBI), an innovative educational and youth development organization serving over 2,500 East Harlem and South Bronx youth by providing free, high-quality summer and after-school programs to youth ages 5-22 years in an intensive multi-year commitment that connects youth and families to age-appropriate programs and passionate professional staff over time.
DREAM Mott Haven Elementary School, a growing K-1 public charter school in the South Bronx, is seeking a dynamic and engaging educator to serve as a FoundingArt Teacher for the 2020-2021 school year. DREAM's mission is to prepare students for high-performing high schools, colleges and beyond through a rigorous academic program that develops critical thinkers who demonstrate a love of learning, strong character, and a commitment to wellness and active citizenship.
DREAM serves over 1,500 youth in East Harlem, South Bronx, and Newark by providing free, high-quality summer and after-school programs to youth ages 5-22 years in an intensive multi-year commitment that connects youth and families to age-appropriate programs and passionate professional staff overtime. Harlem RBI was recognized as one of the Best 50 Non-Profits to Work For in the country by The Nonprofit Times.
Roles and Responsibilities:
- Teaching and Planning
- Implement a common core aligned curriculum through backwards planning;
- Assume responsibility for academic progress in classroom and create assessments that will accurately measure progress;
- Revise curriculum and teaching methods based on measurable data;
- Take part in weekly one-on-one feedback meetings to discuss observation feedback, role-play pedagogical strategies, analyze data and/or refine curriculum map;
- Act as RTI Case Manager for general education students identified as at-risk.
- Management Responsibilities
- Build a positive classroom culture, characterized by love for all scholars that promotes social emotional learning;
- Contribute to org-wide practices defining behavior management and building individual behavior plans;
- Assume the best in scholars while simultaneously continuously evaluating how to improve the implementation of systems;
- Work with peers to analyze data, revise practices, norm on team-wide initiatives, and discuss scholars with a solutions-oriented mindset.
- Founding School Culture Responsibilities
- Participate in and support with planning of all family engagement events;
- Share responsibilities for lunch, recess, and late scholar pick-up as needed;
- Develop strong relationships with scholar’s families, regularly communicating progress towards goals;
- Attend and be an active participant in all professional development opportunities.
- Bachelor’s degree required;
- Master’s degree or higher preferred;
- Appropriate New York State certification in subject area preferred;
- At least three years of Art teaching experience strongly preferred;
- A desire to make a difference in the lives of our students, families and community;
- A commitment to working with diverse populations of families and students, including those at risk of educational failure;
- Bilingual (Spanish) preferred.
- DREAM salary is highly competitive with the New York City Department of Education and other charter schools, and is based on experience and qualifications. All DREAM teachers receive a comprehensive benefits package, including health and dental insurance, a 403(b) retirement account, life insurance and access to social services through our Employee Assistance Program.
All kids can. this kid can.
DREAM is FAMILY.
fun is a serious value.
teamwork makes the dream work.
FAIL. PERSIST. EXCEED.
DREAM provides equal opportunity for all applicants and employees.