Human Resources Manager
East Harlem- Network
DREAM (formerly known as DREAM Charter School and Harlem RBI), is an innovative educational and youth development organization, serving over 2,500 East Harlem and South Bronx youth by providing free, high-quality summer and after-school programs to youth ages 5-22 years in an intensive multi-year commitment that connects youth and families to age-appropriate programs and passionate professional staff over time.
DREAM is seeking a dynamic individual to serve as a Human Resources Manager. Reporting to the Director of Human Resources and Talent Operations, the ideal candidate will play a key role in overseeing human resources functions for part-time staff at DREAM. Candidates must also understand and value DREAM’s comprehensive approach to youth development and inspire, lead, and motivate DREAM staff to drive outcomes that support youth in recognizing their potential and realizing their dreams.
Like all DREAM employees Human Resources Manager should demonstrate a strong commitment to the mission and values of DREAM and should have substantial expertise in all areas of responsibility. Come join an organization that was recently recognized as one of the “50 Best Non-Profits to Work For” by The Nonprofit Times and as the winner of the Nonprofit Excellence Award – Silver Prize for Overall Management Excellence by the Nonprofit Coordinating Committee of New York.
Role and Responsibilities:
- Oversee the execution and continual development of the onboarding process for all new part-time hires; including ensuring successful paperwork completion, benefit enrollment, and background checks;
- Assist with the development of part-time initiatives around compensation, benefits, performance management and HR systems;
- Ensure program compliance with personnel-related policies and regulations, including monitoring applicable state and federal requirements;
- Collaborate with the Finance Team to ensure that payroll is effectively and efficiently processed;
- Play a key role in coaching managers of part-time staff to navigate difficult business challenges and address employee issues;
- Oversee the review, revision and consistent updating of the Part-Time Employee Handbook and other relevant paperwork;
- Assist the Director of Human Resources and Talent Operations with employee relations issues and investigations, as well as issues related to liability risk and insurance coverage;
- Respond to the organization’s growth by holding key responsibilities across Talent Development sub-teams as needed, executing and/or managing various initiatives for Talent Operations, Professional Development and Training, and Recruitment and Selection;
- Promote employee engagement to enable a high-performing workforce with an unwavering focus and commitment to our mission;
- Collaborate with the Talent Development Team to influence organizational culture and contribute to organizational talent initiatives.
- Bachelor’s degree required; SHRM certification preferred;
- At least 3-5 years of experience required, preferably in a nonprofit or school setting;
- Prior management level HR generalist background;
- Experience as a supervisor preferred;
- Some knowledge of relevant federal and New York state employment and benefits regulations;
- Strong collaborative skills with ability to integrate big picture organizational objectives and departmental objectives and work in a solutions-oriented manner;
- Outstanding time management and multi-tasking abilities;
- Experience with data driven decision making;
- Excellent computer skills, familiarity with HRIS and payroll processes preferred;
- Deep embodiment of DREAM’s organizational values of teamwork, diversity, integrity and fun.
*Hours are generally 9:00am - 5:00pm with some later evenings and weekends required.
- Salary is highly competitive and commensurate with experience. All full-time employees receive an excellent benefits package including health and dental insurance, a 403(B) retirement account, life insurance, twenty days paid vacation per year and access to a full range of social services through our Employee Assistance Program.
DREAM provides equal opportunity for all applicants and employees.