East Harlem- Network
DREAM Charter Schools
DREAM Charter School is a part of DREAM (formerly known as DREAM Charter School and Harlem RBI), an innovative educational and youth development organization serving over 2,500 East Harlem and South Bronx youth by providing free, high-quality summer and after-school programs to youth ages 5-22 years in an intensive multi-year commitment that connects youth and families to age-appropriate programs and passionate professional staff over time.
DREAM Charter School seeks a strategic individual with a record of student success to serve as DREAM’s Principal-in-Residence for the 2020-2021 school year. Reporting to the Managing Director of Schools, the Principal-in-Residence will shadow our current school leadership team (SLT) to learn DREAM’s curriculum and internalize and practice DREAM’s observation and coaching systems. In order to prepare for their future role as a founding Principal, they will collaborate with various members of our network to conceptualize and prepare for the creation of DREAM’s next school.
Roles and Responsibilities:
- Year 1:
- Lead the development of a high-performing culture through the refinement and maintenance of systems and routines which set high expectations and are aligned to DREAM’s educational philosophy; along with a rich, engaging and rigorous curriculum that is aligned with the appropriate Common Core Standards;
- Recruit and select a team of teachers and support staff;
- Collaborate with our Family Engagement team to oversee and lead the recruitment of a diverse student body;
- Shadow the School Leadership Team to learn and implement DREAM’s observation and feedback systems;
- Build professional internal and external relations with the board, donors and local community by demonstrating the school is well managed and in legal compliance with the charter contract;
- Develop meaningful relationships with DREAM scholars and their families;
- Serve as an instructional coach for a designated group of teachers;
- Study and internalize DREAM’s Middle School curriculum and scope and sequence;
- Collaborate with the current school principals to provide teachers with high-quality professional
- Work intensely with the Managing Director of Schools to create and prepare to execute a comprehensive school readiness plan
- Year 2:
- Ensure high levels of student achievement and rigorous instruction;
- Develop and implement school policies as a member of DREAM’s School Leadership Team;
- Build a shared vision among all teachers of skillful instruction;
- Lead teacher development and on-going improvement of high-quality instruction through a variety of strategies, including:
- Lesson observations;
- Regular review of data;
- Collaborative planning and inquiry;
- Coaching and mentoring;
- Develop and train teachers to become content experts through both internal and external professional development opportunities;
- Systematically use multiple data sources to drive instruction, curriculum, professional development and student supports;
- Create a tiered program of responsive support to ensure the success of all students with learning needs;
- Build strong and responsive special education programming to ensure success in school for students with special needs, including compliance with special education laws;
- Collaborate with the School Leadership Team to create extended school day activities, including enrichment, internships and student service and leadership opportunities.
- Bachelor’s Degree required, Master’s Degree in Educational Leadership preferred;
- Understanding of and commitment to the mission, goals, educational philosophy and program of DREAM Charter School, as described in the school’s charter;
- 5+ years of strong classroom experience;
- Experience in a charter school preferred;
- Proven school leader or teacher with significant grade-level leadership experience, required;
- Evidence in achieving impressive academic gains, either as a teacher or a teacher-leader;
- Skilled at analyzing student data;
- Ability to establish and maintain effective relationships with faculty, staff, peers, and parents.
- DREAM salary is highly competitive with the New York City Department of Education and other charter schools, and is based on experience and qualifications. All DREAM teachers receive a comprehensive benefits package, including health and dental insurance, a 403(b) retirement account, life insurance and access to social services through our Employee Assistance Program.
DREAM provides equal opportunity for all applicants and employees.