Volunteer at DREAM
Volunteers and Interns
Volunteers and Interns
DREAM (formerly known as DREAM Charter School and Harlem RBI), is an innovative educational and youth development organization, serving over 2,500 East Harlem and South Bronx youth by providing free, high-quality summer and after-school programs to youth ages 5-22 years in an intensive multi-year commitment that connects youth and families to age-appropriate programs and passionate professional staff over time.
Make a difference in the life of a young person today. It will change your life.
DREAM wouldn’t exist without volunteers. In 1991, it was volunteers who transformed an abandoned, garbage-strewn parking lot into two baseball diamonds for East Harlem youth, ultimately founding Harlem RBI. Today volunteers still form the backbone of DREAM, which relies on a diverse corps of over 100 volunteers in a range of positions to run its award-winning programs.
Middle School Tutors
- Tutors provide subject-specific academic support to our middle school students in East Harlem and the South Bronx. Tutors work with youth individually and in small groups to help improve student success in class, increase subject-specific retention, and contribute to overall academic development.
- Work 1:1 with a middle school student and support their academic enrichment plan (supplied by staff) to increase subject-specific retention
- Hours: Weekly Tuesday or Thursday session, 5:30-6:30pm.
- Commitment: At least 3 months. Cycle 1:Oct-Dec/ Cycle 2: Feb - May
College Success Mentor
- Deliver support and guidance as students work to form communities, get involved on campus, and access campus resources.
- Communicate student’s progress with DREAM staff.
- Serve as a role model and build positive relationships with mentee.
- Hours: Volunteer mentors commit to communicating with their mentee (email/phone chat) once a week, and participating in a program at DREAM 1-2 times per semester.
- Commitment: One year.
Baseball and Softball Coaches
- Volunteer baseball/softball coaches work with youth ages 15-18 in practices and games. Each coach serves as a member of a staff made up of volunteer coaches and managers. Coaches have a direct and noticeable impact on the positive development of the youth they coach.
- Coach youth in technical skills, teambuilding and personal development;
- Lead practices, facilitate team meetings and attend professional development trainings;
- Provide a positive, team-based environment focused on teaching baseball, softball and life skills;
- Commitment: At least one 1 full season (February to August). Coaches attend 1 weekday practice and 1 weekend game per week.
Rookies T-ball Coach
- Volunteer Rookies T-Ball coaches facilitate practices and games for youth ages 5-7. Each coach serves as a member of a small coaching staff that works with a specific team of youth. Coaches have a direct and noticeable impact on the positive development of the youth they coach.
- Guide a team of 16-18 youth through practices and games;
- Provide a fun and positive, team-based environment;
- Hours/Commitment: Six practices and games for an hour and a half on six Saturday mornings or afternoons in July and August.
DREAM provides equal opportunity for all applicants and employees.