UK Wide /
Project Directors /
Full Time / Permanent
We’re looking for Principals who are capable of creatively and strategically leading multidisciplinary teams to achieve impact with our clients. In this role you will:
Work with our clients to set and drive the creative direction and standards for projects and programmes, understand how we best help organisations achieve impact lead creative and high performing teams, make sure our work aligns with FutureGov’s mission and values.
In previous roles you’ll have most likely been a Creative, Innovation, Delivery or Programme Director, either in the public sector, or in a creative/ change agency. You will have a deep understanding of design and innovation processes and how they can be applied to deliver positive outcomes. You’ll be comfortable pushing the creative ambition of work, leading highly motivated and passionate teams, and managing project and programme operations. You’ll also be adept at applying creative approaches to address complex social challenges and when needed taking a more hands on role to shape strategic deliverables for our clients.
Above all, you’ll also be comfortable in creating the spaces and conditions for others to do their best and most impactful work. It is a new, exciting and ambitious role at FutureGov. You will therefore play a significant part in helping to shape it, and in supporting us to achieve FutureGov’s mission through the delivery of our work.
Why is this role important:
Earlier this year we launched a new and bold mission: to help organisations become the catalyst for change in their communities. Ultimately we believe our mission and impact is achieved through the delivery of our projects and programmes. As one of the most senior, delivery facing roles at FutureGov, Principals play a significant part in achieving our mission. You will have an eye on all aspects of our projects, think deeply about the impact of our work and play a leadership role within FutureGov to help us remain at the forefront of public sector change and innovation.
The ideal person:
- Is comfortable with ambiguity and helping clients and teams find clarity and direction amongst it
- Is a creative thinker and inspiring leader who has demonstrable experience of translating ideas and insight into tangible outcomes for clientsIs an inclusive and facilitative leader who is experienced in creating spaces for others to do their best work
- Has significant experience managing a range of stakeholders at all levels of an organisation, working closely with them to build trusted relationships which ultimately enable teams to better influence change
- Has significant experience in leading highly creative, multidisciplinary teams - including designers, consultants, subject matter experts, technologists and researchers
- Has a deep understanding and demonstrable experience across design, change and technology practices; including hands on experience of how to bring them together in order to create impact across the public sector
- Has delivered a significant number of projects and programmes that have had a demonstrable short, medium and long term benefits for people, communities, places and organisations
In this role you will:
- Be accountable for the quality of our work, collaborating with clients to determine the vision and standards for our projects and programmes
- Help clients and teams effectively scope the work, define clear outcomes (and way to measure it) and deploy the most appropriate approaches to achieve them
- Develop clear and compelling project narratives that help clients and teams understand the purpose of the work and their role in it
- Build strong and lasting relationships with a range of stakeholders at all levels across an organisation including c-suite levels and elected members
- Bring together people and practices from across FutureGov (and our networks) to build creative, thoughtful and effective teams
- Set the conditions for teams to do their best, most creative and impactful work, leading by example demonstrating inclusive leadership practices
- Own the project strategy and hold regular forums to bring others in from across the business to challenge, critique and support you to make the work better
- Coach, mentor and develop the skills of our project teams, creating opportunities for them to learn and grow on the job
- Act as a senior ambassador of FutureGov in your day-to-day engagement with clients, developing long lasting and trusted relationships
- Work with our Account Leads and Business Development team to spot, nurture and win work with new and existing clients
- Contribute to external facing thought leadership and FutureGov positioning, sharing your experiences and practice with the wider sector
- Contribute to an emerging Leadership Community of Practice, working with a team of Principals to document and share learning across a broad portfolio of work
Relevant skills and experience:
- Excellent leadership skills including the ability to inspire, motivate, influence, develop, and hold colleagues accountable to high standards of work
- Significant experience setting the strategy and driving the creative ambition of complex projects and programmes
- Significant experience leading multidisciplinary teams; coaching and developing othersHighly comfortable working with project/ delivery management tools and approaches
- Experience overseeing budgets and financial operations of projects or programmes
- Deep knowledge and experience across a number of change-related practices; including but not limited to: change management, research, service and organisation design, technology, community engagement or stakeholder management
- Experience in working with senior-level stakeholders to provide direction, advisory and coaching
- A passion for making change happen across the public sector
Our portfolio of work at FutureGov is growing in size, ambition, reach and impact. As a result we’re building a team of Principals who can bring a broad range of expertise, backgrounds and lived experiences to help us deliver a breadth of work and ultimately help our clients achieve better outcomes. If this new, ambitious role sounds like the right type of challenge for you, then get in touch.
Closing date: 28th February