Senior Software Engineer (NLP)
Vancouver, BC /
Engineering – Engineering /
Purpose Driven Career
Spend your days making a difference, not just making a living.
At Galvanize, we help thousands of organizations and governments around the world perform heroic work. We create governance software that uncovers fraud, waste, and abuse easily and quickly, while having an award-winning culture and environment that rapidly develops employees. With our governance software, we’ve helped governments identify doctors that falsely diagnose patients for more money, helped organizations detect use of child labour in their supply chain, and jailed government officials that use tax money for their self-benefit. That’s impactful work!
Headquartered in Vancouver, Canada, with a global presence of over 475 employees, we provide a true multi-tenant, multi-region SaaS platform for our customers to govern more effectively. And as an R&D member in Galvanize, you will help build our SaaS platform using Serverless AWS technologies while closely partnering with our Product and UX team members to create highly impactful solutions for our customers. We take pride in what we do, so if you want to read more about how we engineer, check out our engineering blog!
As a Senior Software Engineer (NLP), you will join our small, but growing machine learning team that develops natural language processing (NLP) solutions for our HighBond platform and the GRC domain. This position provides a mix of research and engineering problems as you will be responsible for developing NLP solutions and demonstrating that they work. Our machine learning team operates like any other team at Galvanize: they fully own their tools and services (from code to deployment and monitoring), participate in architecture discussions, and demo regularly to the entire department.
About the role
- Coding in Python to design & build NLP solutions that deliver value to our HighBond customers
- A keen interest in understanding our customers and their problems, so we can improve governance all around the world
- Perform research in machine learning and apply this research to modern real-world governance, risk, and compliance problems
- Build solutions using AWS Serverless technology, accounting for performance, data throughput, memory management, concurrency, and observability
- Coach and mentor less senior developers, provide guidance on technical designs, and provide constructive code reviews so everyone can grow and learn alongside you
- Work in a collaborative environment where you regularly pair, plan, and execute tasks as a team and strive to optimize your team’s software delivery
- Independently manage your tasks in JIRA without Manager involvement
- 5+ years of professional experience as part of a data science or machine learning team
- Experience in machine learning frameworks & toolkits such as TensorFlow, PyTorch, scikit-learn
- Experience with data analysis tools such as Numpy, pandas and Jupyter
- Familiar with BERT, GPT, Transformers, TF-IDF, WordToVec
- Experience designing and building applications with distributed data processing
- Strong ability to create and maintain highly readable and well-tested code that adheres to SOLID principles
- Passion for developing talent and creating a culture that promotes learning, embracing ambiguity, and authenticity
- Experience with AWS, and more specifically, Lambda, Elasticsearch, ECS, SQS, X-Ray, IAM, VPC, and Terraform are a big plus
- B.S. in a relevant field, Computer Science, Mathematics, Engineering. M.S. or Ph.D are nice, but not required
Why you’ll love working here
1. You’ll be working in a Serverless organization that strives to primarily develop solutions in a Serverless fashion on AWS. You can read more here.
2. You’ll be rapidly learning with our structured training programs and our company culture that emphasizes continuous teaching and coaching. You can read more here.
3. You’ll have a high impact in the world by building software that improves the daily experience of employees and citizens all around the world.
4. You’ll be paid well and enjoy great benefits, paid days off to volunteer in your community, and other perks to keep your mind and body healthy.
Ready to apply?
Thanks for your interest! Apply at wegalvanize.com/careers. Once we’re reviewed your application and determined it’s a match, we’ll reach out with next steps. Please note that due to the high volume of applications received, only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
Galvanize welcomes applications from all candidates who meet our job requirements. Galvanize does not discriminate based on race, national or ethnic origin, colour, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, family status, disability, genetic characteristics or a conviction for which a pardon has been granted or a record suspended.