Sr. Data Scientist
Denver, CO /
Research & Development /
Contractor or Full-time
Well Data Labs is a team focused on bringing modern software design and usability to the oilfield. Our product is a modern web application with industry leading machine learning capabilities that manages, analyzes, and reports Drilling & Completions data for Engineers, Data Scientists and other industry experts. We sell our software to experts in the industry, or as we like to say, we work side-by-side with our customers to give them super powers! Well, maybe not the kind of superpowers Marvel characters might have, but superpowers for Petroleum Engineers - analyzing data in seconds!
About Our Company Culture
We believe culture is one of the most important parts of a healthy workplace. Culture can sometimes be referred to in fluffy, airy terms that mean very little in reality but our culture is derived from our actions, stories we love to share, and our core values.
Our Core Values: Create value, act with integrity, deliver results, embrace transparency, strike a balance and celebrate as a team!
About this position: We are looking for a data lovin’, independent but collaborative, self-driven, Senior Data Scientist to join our Research and Development team. The R&D team uses machine learning to automate the analysis and recognition of events in time-series metered data generated in the field. This role requires the ideation and prototyping of robust, production-level machine learning solutions. The role further involves the steps of scaling and supporting these as product features while you partner with Product Managers, Developers, and Oilfield Subject Matter Experts.
Characteristics & Mindset of a Successful Candidate
- Insatiable curiosity for research, data, and machine learning
- Collaborative self-starter who takes initiative and can self-manage, but also loves teaching and learning
- Analytical mind, problem-solving aptitude, and business acumen
Responsibilities & Opportunities of the Role
- Design and build models to address customer and business needs, improve customer experience, revenue generation, and other major business outcomes.
- Work closely with the organization’s stakeholders on implementing, deploying, and monitoring machine learning/artificial intelligence models that are integrated with key product features.
- Create maintainable projects with documentation. Design experiments to measure effectiveness, and maintain the predictive models in the pipeline.
- Process, clean, and verify the integrity of data used for analysis
- Participate in agile development of unique and innovative products
- Coaches, mentors, and reviews other team members work assignments and gives recommendations on processes and best practices
- Do ad-hoc analysis and present results in a clear manner
- Learn the intricacies of the well completions data life-cycle
Minimum Qualifications to Apply
- Masters/Ph.D. in Engineering, Computer Science or Mathematics/Statistics or equivalent 5-7 years working experience as a Machine Learning Engineer, Data Scientist, or similar role.
- Extensive experience with applied knowledge of probability, advanced statistics, data mining, and machine learning. Working knowledge of time-series analysis, signal processing, and/or geostatistics.
- Expert in at least one of Python or R. Solid working knowledge of SQL, Pandas and numpy (in Python) or tidyverse (in R). Familiarity with Tensorflow/Keras/Pytorch, Linux, and SpotFire is a plus. Must have experience interacting with JSON/REST APIs.
- Proficient using source control systems and their associated ecosystems, e.g., Git and Github/Bitbucket
- Understanding of modern machine learning techniques and their mathematical underpinning, such as classification, regression, trees (incl. forests and boosting), dimensionality reduction, recommendation systems, optimization, and deep learning
- Strong problem-solving skills with an emphasis on model development and deployment. Driven to learn and master new technologies and techniques, to take initiative, and to contribute to the development of the department.
- Exceptional written, communication, and presentation skills
Benefits While Working at Well Data Labs
- Competitive salaries
- Family-friendly company with leadership that encourages a life outside of work (we don’t work late nights or weekends)
- Belief in a holistic view of employee satisfaction, backed up by generous time off, employee stock options, company sponsored 401k match, great health, dental, and vision insurance, cell phone stipend, and more!
- We've been awarded one of the Best Places to Work by Denver Business Journal three years in a row!
- Focus on a culture of diversity (of thought and background)
- Diverse and inclusive workforce
- Salary range: $120K-$150K
Do you sound like our new Senior Data Scientist? Great! We look forward to speaking with you soon!
*We realize your time is valuable so please do not apply if you do not have the minimum qualifications. Thank you!*