Senior Data Scientist
Research & Development
Senior Data Scientist
Well Data Labs is a team focused on bringing modern software design and usability to the oilfield. Our product is a modern web application that manages, analyzes, and reports frac data for Completions Engineers and other industry experts.
We work side-by-side with our customers to give them superpowers! Well, maybe not the kind of superpowers Marvel characters might have but, super powers for Completions Engineers - analyzing data in seconds!
About Our Company Culture: We believe culture is one of the most important parts of a healthy workplace. Culture can sometimes be referred to in fluffy, airy terms that mean very little in reality but our culture is derived from our actions, stories we love to share, and our core values.
Our Core Values: Create value, act with integrity, deliver results, embrace transparency, strike a balance and celebrate as a team!
About this position:
We are looking for a data lovin’, independent but collaborative, self-driven, Data Scientist to join our Research and Development team. WDL research team uses machine learning to automate the analysis and recognition of in time-series metered data generated in the field. This role requires the ideation and prototyping of robust, production-level machine learning solutions. The role further involves the steps of deploying and maintaining these as product features while you partner with Product Managers, Developers, and Oilfield Subject Matter Experts.
Characteristics & Mindset of a Successful Candidate:
- Insatiable curiosity for research, data, and machine learning
- Collaborative self-starter who takes initiative and can self-manage, but also loves teaching and learning
- Analytical mind, problem-solving aptitude, and business acumen
Responsibilities & Opportunities of the Role:
- Use multiple statistical techniques to design, build, and deploy robust machine learning models that address key customer and market needs and that are integrated with key product features
- Work closely with the Product and Engineering teams to harden models for production deployment and monitor model performance over time
- Design experiments to measure effectiveness, and maintain the predictive models in the pipeline
- Create maintainable projects with documentationUndertake preprocessing of structured and unstructured data
- Participate in agile development of unique and innovative products
- Do ad-hoc analysis and present results in a clear manner
- Learn the intricacies of the well completions data life-cycle
Minimum Qualifications to Apply:
- Masters/Ph.D. in Engineering, Computer Science or Mathematics/Statistics or equivalent 3-5 years hands-on experience as a Machine Learning Engineer, Data Scientist, or similar role
- Strong conceptual knowledge and background in probability, statistics, and machine learning
- Experience applying machine learning algorithms to real data sets
- Experience writing and deploying production-ready machine learning solutions
- Knowledge and experience in API development is a plus
- Strong knowledge of Python, R - Experience with SQL, Tensorflow, and AWS - Familiarity with Linux, Hadoop, Spotfire, Scala, Java or C++ is a plus
- Knowledge of time-series signal processing, real-time and streaming data processing
Why we really like working here:
- Significant opportunity for career development and growth as an early team member
- Family-friendly company with leadership that encourages a life outside of work (we don’t work late nights or weekends)
- Belief in a holistic view of employee satisfaction, backed up by generous time off, employee stock options, 401k match, health insurance, cell phone reimbursement, and more!
- An awesome, new office in Downtown Denver! (We provide payment for parking and/or transit passes to all employees.)
- Focus on a culture of diversity (of thought and background)
- And, we work from home on Fridays!
About Well Data Labs
Well Data Labs was founded in June 2014 with a focus on solving the problems the Upstream Oil & Gas Industry has with managing, analyzing, and reporting completions data. In an industry where downhole innovation occurs constantly, data collection and analysis is often far behind - we help our customers get back on the curve.
We are a team of industry and technology experts who are focused on solving completions data problems by working with Operators and Service Companies to develop solutions that engineers actually want. We believe well data should be at the user’s fingertips and easily integrated or exported to other leading industry applications for real analysis and decision making, not just for pretty graphs (though we do love pretty graphs).
We exist to serve our community of customers, business partners, and employees and are always excited to meet new people who share our passion for building products that solve big problems.